cast iron flange problem

Users who are viewing this thread

hopp75

Reaction score
Hi, I have a house built in the 1940's and have cast iron piping. I just had a plummer pull out a "corner toilet". He told my wife that they didnt make corner toilets anymore and he would have to put in a new flange horizontally from either wall. She said to go ahead with it. He cahrged us $1000.00 to install and take out the old flange. The problem is we went looking for new toilets and none of them would fit. We would either be bumping our knees on the vanity or hanging our feet in the tub. We did find the Eljer toilet that fits in the corning while looking though even though he said they dont make them anymore. The question is we need to get the corner toilet but the flange which he soudered onto the cast iron pipe is set so that the J bolts are parallel to the wall. There is no place for J bolts to mount a corner toilet. I dont want to call that plummer out again because he was hard to deal with. I want to fix this but how? The opening on the flange is 5 inches, is there anything I can mount inside the flange so that I can secure the J bolts and the toilet. I can email a few photos so you can see what I mean if this is unclear. Thank you for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

For $1,000.00 I hope he did more than just replace the flange. He was obviously not a very up to date plumber or he would have know that Eljer, which made your original corner toilet, still made it. If he moved the drain sideways to the required 15" minimum from a side wall then your new Eljer Triangle toilet is not going to be symetrical to both walls. There will be 3" more on one side than the other. But to answer your first question, there is no way to make that flange work, but it is a simple matter to break it off and replace it with one with the correct orientation. It should cost in the neighborhood of $150.00, not $1,000.00, assuming he did not do something to make replacing it harder than necessary.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
redring.jpg
They make repair flanges that go over existing flanges, you will notice that the holes for attaching are outside the old flange.​
And yes, they still make the Eljer corner toilet.​

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got took

they do make a corner toilet and any real plumber that knows anything should be aware of this.

I would demand my money back, if you gave him a check its probably too late. If you used plastic, simply put a stop on the purchase.

He saw your wife comming and this certanly should be reported to the local BBB. Possibly the local plumbing insepctor if necessary.

If they are a legit business, (which I doubt) they should be willing to keep their name clean of troubles like this.

Most likely, the plumber is working on "commission" and gets half of what ever he steals from everyone and that is why the price was so high.

A cast iron flange repalcement in the mid west would cost under $200.

A repair flange maybe far less.

A corner toilet possibly installed for $500???

you got to really raise holy hell with whoever did this to you or they wont take you serious.

good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks