Partially drilled into pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Sherie

Reaction score
I was trying to hang a medicine cabinet and drilled a small hole into a vertical pvc pipe behind the sink, it didn't penetrate...I was using an 1/8" bit and the hole appears to be no deeper than 1/16".

Will the pipe hold? Is there anything I can put on there to reinforce it?

Thanks.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I was trying to hang a medicine cabinet and drilled a small hole into a vertical pvc pipe behind the sink, it didn't penetrate...I was using an 1/8" bit and the hole appears to be no deeper than 1/16".

Will the pipe hold? Is there anything I can put on there to reinforce it?

Thanks.

Is this a 1st or 2nd floor sink? Is there a bathroom or anything else above it? If there is nothing above it it could be just a vent and the only thing flowing through it is air.

Sherie

Reaction score
It's a one story home. The hot water heater is in the attic. The pipe is fairly large, maybe 2" and is not located directly behind the faucet, it's off to the side about 1 foot.

D.Smith

Reaction score
HWH wont use pvc except as a drain in case of leakage. More likely it is a vent. I am not a pro but shouldnt have any problems with this. If you feel comfortable about cutting that section of pipe out and replacing it with a coupling it wont hurt.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should be fine as long as you didn't penetrate into the pipe...there is no pressure in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks