(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Partially drilled into pvc

Default Partially drilled into pvc

I was trying to hang a medicine cabinet and drilled a small hole into a vertical pvc pipe behind the sink, it didn't penetrate...I was using an 1/8" bit and the hole appears to be no deeper than 1/16".

Will the pipe hold? Is there anything I can put on there to reinforce it?

Thanks.

Is this on the main floor? Is there a bathroom above it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherie View Post
    I was trying to hang a medicine cabinet and drilled a small hole into a vertical pvc pipe behind the sink, it didn't penetrate...I was using an 1/8" bit and the hole appears to be no deeper than 1/16".

Will the pipe hold? Is there anything I can put on there to reinforce it?

Thanks.
    Is this a 1st or 2nd floor sink? Is there a bathroom or anything else above it? If there is nothing above it it could be just a vent and the only thing flowing through it is air.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

It's a one story home. The hot water heater is in the attic. The pipe is fairly large, maybe 2" and is not located directly behind the faucet, it's off to the side about 1 foot.

HWH wont use pvc except as a drain in case of leakage. More likely it is a vent. I am not a pro but shouldnt have any problems with this. If you feel comfortable about cutting that section of pipe out and replacing it with a coupling it wont hurt.

Thanks, I think you're right. I'm going to leave it be.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It should be fine as long as you didn't penetrate into the pipe...there is no pressure in it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014