Black pipe: unions & drip legs

Users who are viewing this thread

BuffaloM

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to use pipe dope on the male threads where the union comes together (I bet theres a nice name for that)? I've read not to put dope on the center faces of the union, but haven't been able to figure out about the threads. I see the unions in place in my basement have all three connections doped, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere not to dope the center threads.
I don't fully trust that what was done before in my basement is correct, so can someone confirm which is the correct way?

Also, currently there are no drip legs on the lines for my dryer or stove. Are they advised for these appliances? The furnace and water heater have them.

Thank you.

Garrett

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.garrettplumbingco.com
the mating faces of the union do all of the sealing, some plumbers dope the male threads just to lubricate them. Its usually not necessary to dope the mating faces but I have known plumbers including myself to use Blue Block on the mating faces from time to time just for piece of mind but usually I don't dope the mating faces.

BuffaloM

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the unions. That was my main concern.
Any thoughts on using drip legs for the stove and dryer?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I don't dope unions.
I ALWAYS pressure test gas, the slowest leak can slowly add up to a mass of gas and as soon as it reaches a spark it can explode or trigger a fire.
My thoughts on doping a union seal are that you might get a great seal, but as soon as someone opens the union to replace the fixture..the dopes breaks up in chunks.
An unsuspecting homeowner might not know to clean those surfaces before tightening.

Garrett

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.garrettplumbingco.com
Thanks for the advice on the unions. That was my main concern.
Any thoughts on using drip legs for the stove and dryer?
drip tees are basically sediment traps to keep debree from clogging/damaging the regulator. some water heater manufacturers require this to maintain warranty. I did break a drip tee open one time in an apartment complex because the water heater was not getting gas, when I broke it open a large amount of slimy/watery goop came oozing out, after that it was fine. there was one good reason for the sediment trap.

drip-leg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks