flourescent disconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what's the deal with the new code about all double ended light fixtures having to have a disconnect?

lampman42

Reaction score
Disconnects for lights

I have heard of this and think its great, Im not sure too much of the specifics but it is a good idea. We currently do energy efficient lighting retro-fits and from what I was told that is part of the reason this code was introduced. Most retro-fitters or service men do not turn off the circuits when they install new ballast and lamps in a fixture. I encountered this problem when I came to the company I am currently managing projects for.

Electricity is dangerous we know this, but most lighting circuits in commercial buildings are 277 volts which to quote my mentor in this trade is " A hell of a wicked voltage, it does things you cannot explain." I have seen two men that I knew die from this voltage in my 10 years in the trade. It is very dangerous and when I came to this company things changed.

Doesnt matter if you saved time and money on a job if you or one of your guys gets fried and you have to explain to their family why you didnt make sure the circuit was dead, it wasnt worth it.

The new disconnect/connectors are supposed to allow the installer to change the ballast without being exposed to live conductors. I havent used or seen them yet but I look forward to it. They will cost more but if it saves a life it is priceless.

Work Safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks