Relocate Water Heater to Garage - Pipe Size Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

beantech

Reaction score
We have a 20+ year old house in South FL with a 40 gal. water heater in a hall closet (no drain or pan). I am in the process of remodeling the master bath, which has a wall against the garage. My plan is to install a larger heater in the garage and tap into the bathroom lines right on the other side of the wall.

The house is on a slab, with the pipes coming up from below.
When I did the other bathroom, I want to say that the pipes coming up to the bathtub looked to be 3/4" copper and then they changed to 1/2" but I don't really remember. They may have just been 1/2" up from the slab. I do know that the existing heater piping in the closet looks to be 3/4".

The shower in the master bath back right up against the garage wall, and that is where I plan to tap the lines. Will it matter if the shower lines coming up from the slab are only 1/2". Most water heater connections are 3/4", correct?

If the lines coming up the slab for the shower are 3/4" it seems like I would have no issues...but if they are only 1/2" lines, can I simply reduce the 3/4" water heater connections to 1/2"? The house is relatively small 1800 sq/ft and will have 2 adults and 2 kids (1and 3 years old). Would I have flow issues? Anything that I may be overlooking?

The electrical panel is also in the garage, so that would be an easy hook-up...

Thanks for any advice/suggestions...this is a great community you have here!

beantech

Reaction score
We only have 2 baths.

Maybe I will get lucky and the bathroom supply will be 3/4"...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the hot line for the bathroom is 1/2", it would be fine for a shower and lav.
I normally run 3/4" for a toilet, shower and lav, with 1/2" braches to each fixture.

pipe_size_1.jpg

pipe_size_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks