Fan for New 1/2 Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

1890farmhouse

Reaction score
I am building a new 1st floor 1/2 bathroom near the center of my 2-story colonial house with a full basement. It will be 3' x 7', toilet on one end and pedestal sink at other end. I want to install a ceiling vent fan for odor control, but due to the location, there is no good path for venting to the outside. The 2x6 ceiling joists run parallel to the nearest outside wall and the run between the ceiling joists to a farther away outside wall are obscured by recessed lights. Any unique solutions to venting this bathroom? Thanks

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Adding to the above: Depending on the length of the run you may need a booster fan.

Tom

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Jim,

I think his issue is the bathroom is centrally located.

Tom

1890farmhouse

Reaction score
There is even more in the way through the basement. As statjunk said, it is centrally located so there's no direct or easy route to the outside.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this on the second or first floor? If on the second, you could run it out through the roof. Is there a utilities chase that could be expanded to get it up into the attic? Both of my bathrooms are centrally located...one is vented along the ceiling joists between floors to the outside, and the other goes up through the roof. Sounds like it will take some destruction to gain access to where you want to go.

1890farmhouse

Reaction score
First floor. Looks like I will have to try to create a path to the attic. The 4" diameter is hard to hide within standard 3 1/2" wide framing for walls. I read about someone who ran false exposed beams (a "box" made out of 3/4" stock) along a ceiling and ran the pipe within the cavity so it could run to an outside. Maybe worth a shot. Can I combine two vents in the attic so I only have one roof penetration?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's safer not to combine them - you might end up just pumping it from one room to the other rather than out. An alternative would be something like the Fantec stuff where you use a remote fan and multiple inlets...real slick, and quiet since the motor is far away. There are other companies that make remote fan motor and controls.

You can buy transition duct pieces that are meant to fit inside of a standard 2x4 wall. Then you'd use the flat stuff to get to where you want, and, if required transition back to round.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks