Great Stuff under tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting Great Stuff under my fiberglass tub to help get full support between it and the subfloor when I install the tub.

Should I be using the Great stuff for Windows and doors? (Expands to fill spaces, but doesn't have enough force to bow vinyl windowframes) I guess I'm wondering if I should be worried about the regular stuff expanding too much and pushing the tub up.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering if I should be worried about the regular stuff expanding too much and pushing the tub up.

As well you should be.

On the other hand, the minimal-expanding cures pretty soft - too soft to count as "support" of any kind.

If you go with the great stuff, use as little as possible - maybe do some experiments out in the garage, first, to get a feel for it - and fill the tub so that the weight will keep the tub from rising.

Or, of course, you could do it the normal way, with mortar.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Try StructoLite. It's a type of perlited gypsum plaster that doesn't shrink, is easier to work with than mortar, it doesn't scratch surfaces and is easy to clean up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks