• iStock_can of worms.jpg
    iStock_can of worms.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only if reliability is important.

I have repaired a few connections where the sharp device that captures the wire created a nick in wire, which subsequently broke at that point. Since then I have always used the screw terminals if they are available.

On the other hand, I have some Square D QO tandem breakers from 1965 with push-in terminals that have served more than 40 years without any problems. There is no screw terminal on those breakers so there was no alternative to the push-in terminals.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
They tend to come out or create loose connections. The good receptacles allow you to insert the wire in the hole and then as you tighten the screw it clamps down inside--not just spring fit. Get that kind of take the extra minute to wrap them around the screw.

Jason

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Any reason I should use the screws instead of the push in connector on a receptacle? Why?
If you ever need to take the receptacle out you'll be glad you didn't use the back-stab. Also, the spec-grade back-stab receptacles I've seen don't allow #12 wire to be stabbed. I agree with Lakee911 -- the best are the back-wired ones that allow you to push the wire in directly, but use the screw to secure it.

Nate R

Reaction score
OK, points taken. Was replacing a broken light fixture with another one that will only be there temporarily, and the new one had both the slots and screws, so it hit me to ask here about it. I've always used the screws in the past.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I like the "back Clamp" type better.
You strip the wire, insert it and tighten the screw.

Pros
reliability
Ease of use

Cons
receptacle cost

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks