Low flow mandatory?

Users who are viewing this thread

billybarty

Reaction score
I live in canada close to the US border and was looking at an online flyer for *******. They had some very cheap toilets for sale but none of the ads stated whether they were 13 litre, 6 litre etc. Do all toilets in the US need to be low flow in order to be sold?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, all residential toilets sold are required to be low flow. There may be an exception for some commercial applications. I think someone referenced the spec here recently...try a search.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No way to really tell for sure, but it might be someone has a supply of old 6 gallon flusher that they are trying to get rid of. They can not be sold in the US. They other possibility is they are some of the first low flow toilets that came out that were plagued with clogging problems. I would be very cautious about buying either one, especially the latter. At least the old full flow units worked well. I am not familiar with Canadian codes, but I do know Terry sells a lot of Totos in BC which makes me wonder if Canada has adopted the low flow requirements also. You should check with your local authorities for code requirements before you do anything. You know these will be "As is, Where is" so if you find out after you get one of them they don't work well or are illegal, you'll be stuck with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many of the 3.2's are sold in Canada.
In the US, only 1.6
So if you in the US, it's only going to be 1.6
I haven't been to the Canadian home centers to see what they are selling.

However, there are a lot of 1.6's and dual flush in use in Canada too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks