shower control compatibility

Users who are viewing this thread

bdemay

Reaction score
I currently have a Delta shower control and would like to know if it can be replaced with a Moen or other brand of similar operation without having to replace the control valve behind the wall. Are the control valves in the wall brand specific or will I need to go with a Delta product.

bd

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Not only are they brand specific, but also model specific. Even if you have a Delta valve, you can only switch to trim pieces that fit that model, and you cannot change to a different model without changing the valve in the wall.

bdemay

Reaction score
Are the trim pieces marked with a model # somewhere to know what one has?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
NO. You just have to know. If you could post a pic here, someone will know what it is. Otherwise, take the pieces in to a plumbing store.

bdemay

Reaction score
Can you tell from the photo what would be compatible or do I need to remove the control and trim?

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 905

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

That 1500 model is obsolete, but I believe there is a way to make the current trim work, once you change the cartridge to the new model. But I am not sure which current cartridge works, since I have not had to do it.

bdemay

Reaction score
The only reason I was going to replace this fixture was for cosmetic reasons to match new fixtures elsewhere in the room which are in venetian bronze. Is the escutcheon and other external parts available in that finish or will I need a complete fixture if that is the motive. If so would T17038-RB be compatible with what is behind the wall?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The T17038 is 1700 series for R10000 rough in valve. I would contact Delta at 800-345-DELTA to ask if it workd on your older valve. I think it does, but check before you buy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks