Toto Drake soft close

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I have read on other sites that the soft close Toto toilet seats are a pain in the butt:eek: Not sure why some don't like it but they said something about the curvature of the seat?

Anywhooo..had my Toto installed minus a seat and was about to head out the door to Lowes or HD for what others say is a better soft close seat but thought to come and ask the experts here first.

Should I go with Toto soft close or pay the same amount for anther brand that apparently has chrome bolts and is a better shape and more comfortable?

ss114_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I bought a Toto soft close for my American Standard Cadet 3. I like it but my wife prefers the more traditional finishes of an ordinary toilet seat.

I think the shape is nice. I am a big man, but the tight curvature of the seat reduces any spillage that might occur when a man or woman urinates sitting down (drips under the seat if you've ever had that). It also seems to stain less easilly than many toilet seats I have tried. The mechanism is nice and fittings good (if you're going to bust plastic bolts, you will have more than a seat to worry about).

It really depends how much a fan of conventional toilet seats you are. If you are willing to sacrifice some looks, for great functional features then the softclose is for you. The price isn't bad either.

Last edited:

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Hi, I go for function before form many times. That being said, where did you get your soft close seat? I can't imagine it being so different that people don't like the feel. How much time really does one sit on a toilet seat?

BTW, the men in my house don't sit to urinate. I sure wish they would!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto was the first with the soft close feature.
Many of my long time customers have had the seat for years, and one of the reasons that Toto took off in sales, is the seat.
The seat was a big selling factor.

I carry a few other softclosing seats too, but put them next to the Toto, and they don't look as nice.
I order the softclose seats twelve at a time.
Durabilty and cleaning has been good too.

For some brands that I sell, I don't even bother showing them good seats. Whenever someone buys a Gerber toilet, I just show them the contractor grade stuff.

aquia_top_view.jpg

Toto Aquia with the SS114 SoftClose seat.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the complaints about the soft-close seats.

Perfectly comfortable to me, and really like the soft-close feature.

Only problem with it is you get used to it, and then may forget that your other toilet doesn't have this feature!

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Thanks for the visual.

I don't think it's the soft close they are complaining about but rather the way the Toto seat sort of curves inside. People are used to sitting on a level seat I guess, but I am sure you get used to it.

ss114_02.jpg

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Toto was the first with the soft close feature.
Many of my long time customers have had the seat for years, and one of the reasons that Toto took off in sales, is the seat.
The seat was a big selling factor.

I carry a few other softclosing seats too, but put them next to the Toto, and they don't look as nice.
I order the softclose seats twelve at a time.
Durabilty and cleaning has been good too.

For some brands that I sell, I don't even bother showing them good seats. Whenever someone buys a Gerber toilet, I just show them the contractor grade stuff.

aquia_top_view.jpg

Toto Aquia with the SS114 SoftClose seat.

Will that fit the Drake?

Macman

Reaction score
So while we're at it, may I pop in here to ask what the difference is between the SS114 and the SS154?

Macman

Reaction score
I see it now. I just didn't know what kind of difference I was looking for. Thanks.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Am I looking in the wrong place on the web site for the toilet seats? I found Toto toilets and the washlets but no seats:eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll find the Soft Close Seats at the end of the "Toto Shopping Cart" link. There's a long list, so keep scrolling.:D

BTW: I really like my soft close.

CarlH

Reaction score
Anywhooo..had my Toto installed minus a seat and was about to head out the door to Lowes or HD for what others say is a better soft close seat but thought to come and ask the experts here first.

Should I go with Toto soft close or pay the same amount for anther brand that apparently has chrome bolts and is a better shape and more comfortable?

What was the other brand that is supposed to be more comfortable? Just curious.

As to the chrome bolts, you may run into corrosion problems that will impact the cosmetics of the chrome depending on the conditions the seat will be subjected to and cleaning chemicals. After a few years the chrome may begin to turn green.

At present I have three different soft close seats in my house. 2 round and 1 elongated. I'll offer my comments on each.

Bemis 200slow round- I have this one installed on a AS Cadet PA and it is not the best looking seat for this bowl. The top outside of the bowl has a bevel that angles away from the bowl. Combine this with the fact that the outside edge of the seat is smaller than the outside edge of the lid. The seat looks like it comes up a bit short. This seat comes in low in the style and looks department. However it has the flattest seat and I find it the most comfortable. Also, I consider it suitable for use with small children since the inside opening of the seat is smaller than some of the others. Has quick release if you think removing the seat will help with cleaning.

Toto ss113 round - Got this with my first Drake. No fancy looks about it, but it looks right on this bowl. I do find this one somewhat uncomfortable. Comfort improves if you sit far enough back so that you are supported by the rear and sides of the seat as opposed to the side only. This one is probably suitable for use with small children. No quick release.

Kohler Cachet elongated - Put this on the second Drake. Looks OK and fits the lines of this bowl. Slightly more comfortable than the Toto. Same seating position as the Toto recommended. Since this has a wider opening along with the fact it is elongated, I would say that it is not the best choice for small kids. They might fall in! Has a quick release.

Anybody know anything about the "french curve" seats that Kohler has?

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
You'll find the Soft Close Seats at the end of the "Toto Shopping Cart" link. There's a long list, so keep scrolling.:D

BTW: I really like my soft close.

Well unless I'm totally blind or stupid (maybe both), I have gone to the cart, I have gone to the Toto shopping cart link and all, and have only seen BIDETS or Washlets.

Can someone be kind enough to give me an elongated TOTO soft close toilet seat price please? I am completely frustrated with the site:mad::rolleyes:

http://terrylove.biz/toilet-seats/17-ss114-softclose-seat-elongated.html

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad, it is hard to find. First go to "Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets" on the home page. Then scroll down the list of toilet brands and find "Terry's Shopping Cart for Toto". Scroll through that list of Toto toilet models, almost to the end, and you'll find the SS154.

Macman

Reaction score
Or for $15 less you can have the model of the same lid, minus the molded extra trim (as Terry described above). It's the SS114.

ss114_01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks