New toilet - flush leaves streaks, any suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
We bought the Dartmouth to replace a really old toilet because the tank cracked and the bowl needed to be resurfaced.

Though I really like the look of the Dartmouth and the fact that it uses less water I am disappointed because streaks :eek: are left in the potty (below waterline) after flushing. Our old toilet did not have this problem. I think it is gross and potentially embarrassing :eek:. A second flush does the trick after a minute or two but this defeats the purpose of saving water.

:confused: Is there not enough pressure, do we need more water in the tank?
Any suggestions?

Thank you, Sunny Bunny

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We bought the Dartmouth to replace a really old toilet
You can't really compare a "really old toilet" to anything made since 1992.
Nothing uses more than 1.6 gallons anymore.
The amount of water in the old bowls left no chance of streaking.
For some weird reason, the bowls do get better with use.
Does anyone know why?

If you do double flush once in a while, it's still quite a savings over a five gallon bowl.
If you double flushed once in five times, it would be 9.6 gallons
Five flushes with a five gallon bowl would be 25 gallons.
You would only be using 38.4% of the water you had previously used.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Dartmouth, and I have had streaking on rare occasions. I keep a brush beside the toilet and a quick brushing takes care of the problem. By the way, the brush is left over from the old 6 gallon toilet, so there were occasions that it was needed there. I don't know if there is any toilet that will be 100% free from streaking.

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
Need Reassurance

Thanks for the responses. I do realize we are still saving water.

I can flush twice and have a brush on hand but I'm a bit disappointed by this. Although, I didn't expect a 100% streak free toilet, I did expect more than a 40% streak free one. The old toilet was about 98% to 95% streak free.

Hopefully, as Terry suggested, it will get better with time.
Would I have been better off with a CEFIONTECT bowl? I couldn't find the Dartmouth with a CEFIONTECT and preferred it's looks over the Drake.

I also liked the Guinevere but would have had to move the waterline over and didn't want to pay the relocation cost on top of the more expensive cost for the toilet itself.

I hope I ended up making the right choice. Needing reassurance!

Not so Sunny Bunny!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Guinevere water service would work at 5.5" from center.
The CEFIONTECT only comes in a few bowls.
However, part of it is, not being able to go back too.
As the old stuff starts to break, or in some cases, pink and green don't look that great after a while, it's time to move forward.
With water usage only going up everywhere, conservation becomes a factor, and with that, change.

sawsaw

Reaction score
Drake - Stools often leave residue on bowl .

Is this a common problem?? Do not have the Sanaglos, but didn't expect this after installing the highly-touted Drake. Other than holding down the tank lever handle, which removes only some of the residue, typically, any remedies??

Achutch

Reaction score
May I respectfully suggest that some of the streaking problem may be due to diet and metabolism.

I have a Drake with no Sanigloss and an American Standard Cadet 3 with "Everclean Surface", their version of Sanigloss.

I was told many years ago to use Metamucil (or generic ). It is basically ground up psyllium seeds which swell and form a jell like bulk. I use one teaspoon of it per day in my morning orange juice. With the added bulk, the toilet bowls do not streak. Without it, both bowls streak equally as bad and require a long soak to dissolve it or a brushing.

Someone in the forum some time ago mentioned that he keeps Clorox in each bathroom and gives the bowl a quick brushing with it if it gets dirty. I have done the same.

Good luck with your streaking issue.

achutch

sawsaw

Reaction score
May I respectfully suggest that some of the streaking problem may be due to diet and metabolism.

I have a Drake with no Sanigloss and an American Standard Cadet 3 with "Everclean Surface", their version of Sanigloss.

I was told many years ago to use Metamucil (or generic ). It is basically ground up psyllium seeds which swell and form a jell like bulk. I use one teaspoon of it per day in my morning orange juice. With the added bulk, the toilet bowls do not streak. Without it, both bowls streak equally as bad and require a long soak to dissolve it or a brushing.

Someone in the forum some time ago mentioned that he keeps Clorox in each bathroom and gives the bowl a quick brushing with it if it gets dirty. I have done the same.

Good luck with your streaking issue. achutch

Wow! From a toilet bowl to my diet!! What a peculiar resolution suggestion!!:eek:

Last edited:

Achutch

Reaction score
Oh I agree that it is a peculiar resolution, but some things that can help solve a problem sometimes can seem a bit strange... :D Good luck with your problem and with your resolution, whatever that may be!

achutch

J

Jim Boyce

I find that eating chocolate makes for streaking.

I love chocolate bars, but it sure shows up in the bowl later.

Russ75

Reaction score
I bought an EcoDrake and had the same problem with streaks. I then got a DrakeII with sanigloss and whirling flush (can't think of the name) but it is no improvement at all. Both almost always require a brush or second flush. Very disappointing, but I guess the daily brushing keeps the toilet cleaner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks