Hot water expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a client that has a home that has two electric hot water tanks. One tank does one half of the house, and the other tank does the other half of the house. Recently, she had a plumber install a pressure reducing valve on her house and, (because of what I’ve learned on this great forum) she now has a closed system and she needs an expansion tank. The PRV is set at 60 psi. My question is, do I need to install two expansion tanks, (one for each hot water tank) or could she get away with just one tank on the incoming cold water line, (after the PRV) like by her water softener?

Thanks all,

Mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One tank would be sufficient, but I would opt for the larger size. Install it between the PRV and the first water heater.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks

One tank would be sufficient, but I would opt for the larger size. Install it between the PRV and the first water heater.

Thanks Gary. The Home depot by my house only sells one size, (ie one tank for one hot water tank). I will get on the web site that makes the tank, and see if I can get the next size.

Thnaks again,

Mike

Construct30

Reaction score
I would just watch the price with shipping, it might be cheaper to go with the two expansion tanks. Also size does matter so be sure you get them to size it if you order one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it is Watts that has an expansion tank size calculator on their website. You enter the size of the WH(s), the expected temperature rise, and it tells you what size tank you need. They usually come precharged with 40# in them, if your PRV is set to 60, you'll need to add some air to it.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hot Water Tank

You need two expansion tanks, one on each water heater,
BETWEEN THE COLD SHUT OFF ON EACH HEATER ! ! !
otherwise the tank can be isolated by any shut off's in system,
and still pressure bulge or blow up without expansion protection:D

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER
PH.D WATER HEATEROLGY ! !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Our resident PH.D Waterheaterologist is correct! I was scrolling down to post the same thing when I saw his post.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
All good points...thanks!!!

As usual, I want to thank everyone for all of the great inputs. I tell everyone how great this forum is. You all make this handyman look somewhat intelligent….LOL!
This poor lady’s house was build by her ex-husband, and you wouldn’t believe some of the, “short cuts†I’ve found in the past three years I’ve been working for her. The first day I went to work for her, I was just going to replace a bad started switch on her outside stainless steel BBQ. After I noticed that the back of the switch was melted, (and I found that three of the six gas valves were leaking), she had me there for a total of 12 hours that day fixing other things…LOL…and I’m not done yet!

Thanks all again,

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
According to the Watts info here

http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-PLT.pdf

The Watts PLT-12 (large tank) will handel up to 120 gallons being heated / expanded at a water pressure of 60 PSI.

2 expansion tanks is a good idea but not necessary, I have been in very few homes that have a valve between the main and the water heater or heaters valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

otherwise the tank can be isolated by any shut off's in system,
and still pressure bulge or blow up without expansion protection:D

If that did happen then she also had a defective, nonfunctional temperature/pressure relief valve, AND if so, and conditions were such that a blow up could occur, all the expansion tanks in the world would not prevent it.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hot Water Tank

:D

It's called murphys law ! !

it should be installed between cold shut off and tank,

if do'es not have this protection voids MFG'S warrenty on leaking tanks

JERRYMAC MACPLUMB 777:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks