Whole House Auto-Shutoff Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shinshi

Reaction score
I am considering installing a whole house auto-shutoff valve. Essentially this valve would be connected to multiple water sensors throughout the house and shut off the main water supply if any leaks were detected. This is the valve I was considering...

http://www.aartech.ca/product_info.php/products_id/631/FS1-1-4NPT.html

This shut-off valve is 1 1/4" and the main water line coming into the house is 1". I was thinking of installing this right after the city water meter. Then daisy chain multiple sensors at the washing machine, dishwasher, icemaker & hot water tank and connect to this device. Then if a water leak was detected at any of those locations it would shut the water off to the house.

My question is, would I possibly damage washing machine, dishwasher, ice maker, hot water tank & water softener if water was shut off and these units were in use? I wonder if the pumps would keep running and possibly even the heater in the washing machine and without water they would be damaged?

Construct30

Reaction score
The one thing I would worry about is the water heater. Also check with the manufacturer of other appliances. Normal washers and all should not be a problem, but some newer models could be. They make auto shut offs for the gas and electric water heaters as well as some appliances that work with those valves and sensors, however big $$$$.

Shinshi

Reaction score
My washer is a newer model Maytag made by Whirlpool, so I have not been able to find much information and determine if it could be damaged by a water shutoff valve like this.

The WAG for the water heater certainly looks like a good idea! I may try that for the water heater instead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks