What's a new oil hot water furnace cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

TSPORT

Reaction score
:confused: Hi all. I am contemplating purchase of a new (for me) house. Built in 1970. The home has baseboard hot water heat & hot water from an oil fired furnace/boiler (not sure what you call it). It looks to be original and not in the best shape. The service labels on it indicate 3 repair visits in January alone for breakdowns. I figure it is going to need a new one. The house is a 2 story colonial of about 2,000 sq. ft. of living space. Thought maybe someone in the business here could give me a ballpark on a new one so I can plan accordingly.
Also, I was wondering if it would make sense to install a seperate electric water heater and just have the furnace for heating the house? Not sure if there is an economic benefit to it or not.
Thanks for your help!........TSPORT

(I'm in southeastern Pennsylvania, suburb of Philly)

Pete C

Reaction score
It's a boiler. Furnaces heat air.

Price? Good question. I bought a new 4 section AO Smith boiler from a supply house that specializes in dealing with DIY homeowners, about 7 years ago. I forget exactly what I paid, but, it was in the 800 dollar range, give or take a few hundred.

Another possibility, if you are gonna do it yourself, is to look on that online auction site that the word filter here doesn't like. A guy I work with is researching this. Apparently there are quite a few folks out there with relatively new boilers that replace them either because they need a bigger one due to an addition or they want better efficiency.

Buying used is always a bit risky, but, if the savings are considerable enough, it might be worth looking into.

Even if you DIY, I would strongly recommend paying a professional to give it a look over/tuneup afterwards.

TSPORT

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is not something I would be looking to do myself. I'm interested in what a pro would charge to do the entire job.................TSPORT

BigLou

Reaction score
It's a boiler. Furnaces heat air.

Actually its a hot water furnace. A boiler makes steamyou need to boil the water to make steam boiling the water in your hot water furnace would be an un desirable thing. I know in the past 50 years the nomenclature has allowed hot water furnaces to be called boilers.

BigLou

Reaction score
Tsport.
I want to say when I priced a new oil fired boiler for my house it was around $1200 - $1500. I opted to spend $3500 on a high efficiency gas unit. This was parts only not labor to install it. If at all possible convert to natural gas unit. Not only is NG cost less per BTU then oil its also possible to get higher seasonal efficiencies

Lou

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks