Plumber installed our toilet to the pump??

Users who are viewing this thread

tareko

Reaction score
Hi all,

My plumber installed a new toilet and cistern.
We were unable to flush the toilet properly because we are using a gravity fed system and the water was unable to go into the cistern.
He has now connected the toilet pipe to the pump so when we flush, the pump comes on.
Is this correct?
thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is hard to say not seeing it, but generaly speaking, if it is working correctly, it is installed correctly.

Where do you live.

tareko

Reaction score
hi,
im in london uk.

so its normal for plumbers to connect the water feed to the pump for a toilet?

thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I dont know your terminogloy lets see. The pump pumps water to the toilet, the toilet needs water to operate, the toilet wasn't working because the tank (cistern)wasn't filling with water, the plumber came and hooked up the pump (water) to the toilet, now the toilet operates.

Is your question to us

"should the pump (water) come on when we flush the toilet"

Do I have all this right? If I do then yes you need pressure to fill the toilet and flushing will lower the pressure and cause the pump to turn on. I have no idea what kinds of pressure settings you may have over there.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is, we just don't understand your plumbing systems. When you say the plumber hooked the toilet to 'the pump,' we don't even know what kind of pump it is or where it is. We do not use cisterns nor do our 'water cylinders' look like yours. Typically, we have either water provided by our city at about 60 lbs. or we have a well with a submersible pump, or an above-ground jet pump. These deliver somewhere in the range of 40-60 or 50 - 70 lbs. of pressure. Our water heaters are an insulated tank with either a gas burner or a set of electric elements. (There are exceptions to these things, but this is what is most common.)

So, in order to answer your questions, we make assumptions. But we're talking past each other. We don't know what kind of pump you have, nor whether it's normal to be hooking toilets or anything else to it, other than possibly the cistern.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In another forum you posted in I recommended a UK plumbing forum to you. You would be far more likely to find a correct answer there. Our systems are very different from yours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks