Strange Drain Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

matinee

Reaction score
I just installed a 15" round hand sink (w/o overflow) and a grid drain in a new commercial remodel. There appears to be a "back pressure" at the grid drain which makes for very sluggish drainage until the water reaches a certain height in the sink and balances the "back pressure". At this point the sink fills no further, but the water level remains high. A quick stroke of a plunger starts a siphon action that drains the sink in a flash, but once it empties, the cycle starts all over.

The plumbing is all new (6' of 1 1/2", 30' of 2", 10' of 3") to the main drain. I installed a vent pipe about 2' from the drain when I did this installation. I suspected a vent problem, but after installing an auto vent at the trap, there was no change. I even increased the trap size to 1 1/2" to no avail. I'm not a plumber, but have done many, many installations and never seen this. Any ideas? :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The key words in your descsription are "w/o overflow". The overflow is how the air trapped between the water in the trap and the water in the sink escapes. Without the overflow it is caught and prevents drainage until you plunge it, or the water depth is enough to overcome the backpressure's resistance. The openings in the grid strainer are not large enough to permit the air to rise while the water is falling. Often drilling the holes larger is enough to allow the two to pass through at the same time and permit drainage.

Last edited by a moderator:

matinee

Reaction score
Strange Drain

All drain lines are pitched at 1/4"/ft. Hj, You're right about the trapped air not being able to escape the grid drain. I can see it (an air bubble) in there while the drain gurgles. If I take a soda straw and poke it through one of the grid holes while the basin is filled, I can suck the air right out. If I suck hard enough (my wife found this amusing), the drain suddenly roars to life. I'll change out the sink with one equipped with an overflow and/or drain. Thanks for the help!

mrjetskey

Reaction score
Your wife found it amusing?I just fell off my chair,that sounds like something I would do!Have A great Day!! :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks