(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actual Bidet Seat reviews and comparisons

Maybe he will read the instructions when he installs it at home.

Or maybe not.

I didn't watch him every minute. I'm just hoping he didn't leave out any parts.

Now I find that the toilet isn't level. He shimmed it when he did the install, and I stressed how important it was that it was level, especially because of my spinal injury and balance problems. I will call him tomorrow, but I have a feeling he is going to give me a hard time. How difficult is it to make a toilet level?

Quote Originally Posted by photo2010 View Post
    How difficult is it to make a toilet level?
    Half a bubble off, or what?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How difficult is it to make a toilet level?
    We set toilets to be as flush to the floor as possible. If the floor is not level, that can make it difficult.
    Unless the floor is off quite a bit, it sets whatever the floor is doing. Some are low at the back, and some low at the front.
    We try to pin the front of the bowl down regardless. If has to be a pretty bad floor before we consider putting shims in the front.

The seat has a large opening in the middle, and if your lower body drops into that, I can't see you "sliding" off.

If we are setting a toilet, $179.00, we might charge $50 more to do the bidet seat at the same time. We have done so many, it's mainly muscle memory.
    But the first time, read the instructions. If plumbers liked to read, they wouldn't have gone into construction.
    I tell my homeowners that they better read those manuals for the plumbers. Anything out of the norm, and I swear, the homeowner does a better job.

I installed a bidet seat for my sister in-law in Hoquiam. I think my brother has the only bidet seat in the entire town now.
    He helps me sometimes with the web site, so one day I drove over to the coast and installed a TOTO Drake with washlet as a thankyou.
    It's not something he would have done for himself.

Step 2,
    Install the mounting bracket to the bowl. Duh!
    Then the seat slides into the bracket.
    To pull it off for cleaning, push the indent, and it slides right out again. Cool!
    Yes, it's that easy.

Last edited by Terry; 10-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.

The toilet is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch lower on one side. As I mentioned, I have a spinal cord injury that affects my balance. I am in a wheelchair, and when I transfer to the toilet, the level is very noticeable to me, where it may not be to others.

I would guess that they might loosen the bolts. Push tapered shims into place to achieve balance. If the gaps are big enough, maybe there would be a combination of flat shims and normal tapered shims. A pair of matched tapered shim-- one with the big end inside, and one with the big end outside, can make a nice flat combo. The shims would need to be broken/cut to be pretty much flush with what-- a wood chisel? A backsaw? A multi-tool? There are various pre-cut tapered shims available. Are you going to be upset with a little floor damage if that is covered by the caulk?

Then after level is achieved, the bolts would be tightened. Then the trimmed shims and gaps would be hidden with a putty or caulk.

That's my amateur view of how this would be done.

Think about how important front-to-back level in addition to the left-right you are looking for. You want to be very clear this time. I expect that when you said level, the plumber was thinking you meant flush without wobble.

Also check with your friends to see if one can lend you a 3 foot level before the plumber shows up.
    Last edited by Reach4; 10-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The toilet is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch lower on one side.
    Some toilets are that way out of the box. In fact I would say that most have some lean.

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.