Actual Bidet Seat reviews and comparisons

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is the difference between a skirted and a non-skirted toilet?

Not much. For some brands, the trapway design is almost identical. One may have an exposed trapway, which is a little more effort to keep dusted off. The enclosed or skirted trapway design is easier to wipe off. Whoever does the cleaning will notice the difference.

piezomot

Reaction score
Please forgive me for the straight question, I never used bidet in my life yet. I refer to the video below, I am just wondering if it works completely "hands free" or in some occasions some interference would require? I would like to add bidet to my toilet.

The reason I am asking is that I think sometimes it may not be enough to use one cycle and the second would not do a "good job". Then if some "hand interference" required would it be enough space at the toilet seat back? Also if this bidet would supply only water is there an option to add some soap into this water?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no option for adding soap to a bidet seat or washlet.
Not really needed though. Water does a pretty good job. A little paper may still be needed for final cleaning, but you will use so much less, that the paper supply goes much longer on the shelf.

In the colder climates, it's very nice seating down on a warm seat. Not the shock of sitting on something cold in the middle of the night.
Anyone with medical conditions would be much better off too. I went through colon cancer in the last few years, and it was pretty brutal when I went to other homes without the bidet. Without cleaning with water, it could become very painful. If you know someone in that condition, it would be the best gift possible for them.

piezomot

Reaction score
Thank you Terry,

I am just wondering if Toto S300 Jasmin Washlet bidet seat shown here

Would fit my Toto Drake II as the toilet itself is elongated (very convenient for male) thus I do not want to be missing this elongation feature when this bidet seat is installed. I like this Wireless Remote Control pendant as I can place it on the wall.

For some reason these bidet seats are very common in Japan, but I heard they play music as well.:) I never seen bidet seat when visiting any of my friends or relatives or even open houses. It would be interesting to find out why these are not so popular in North America? May be water itself without soap is not giving full sanitation thus some odor would be still present there? Sorry, I just do not know this.:)

Do you know any places in North America I can visit and try any of these bidet seats? I just would like to try it before I spend $900.

In addition to that I just have found this Hydrojet Bidet Hot and Cold Water Version - No electricity required, uses existing hot water source and priced @ $25. Anyone already purchased this?
Hydrojet.jpg

Plus Toto says bidet toilets may catch fire:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...et-toilets-may-catch-fire-offers-free-repairs

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Considering that most people are just using paper to clean, and not any water, it's heads and tails more sanitary then just paper.
I don't brush myself off with paper towels after a hard day working. I get in the shower and let the water beat on me.

The S300 Washlet in elongated is SW554, and fits very nicely on the Drake II.
I've have several bidet seats and Washlets in the home. Kohler just sent me their Numi toilet with built in bidet and radio to try out. It has an option for speakers that fit in with the tiles in a shower. I'm considering ordering the speakers for it.

Even the $398.00 bidet seats that I sell do a good job. Most come in the elongated shape.

You might find a local showroom that has a bidet seat. Most around here have them.
Here's a link to the TOTO site that has a restaurant list
http://www.totousa.com/Washlet/TryaWashlet.aspx

Last edited:

photo2010

Reaction score
TOTO Supreme or Supreme II ?

I purchased the Brondell Swash 1000 Washlet seat. Now I'm down to choosing between the TOTO Supreme or Supreme II toilets to replace my
Kohler Rialto.

I know they have different flushing hardware. I'm looking for the strongest flush and lowest maintenance. Appreciate all recommendations.

Kevin

photo2010

Reaction score
I bought the TOTO Supreme elongated toilet. I'm ready to have the toilet and Brondell Swash installed but can't find a plumber in my area who has experience installing a washlet seat. Can anyone recommend a plumber in Connecticut who can do this job? I live in Fairfield County. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's really homeowner doable.
Two bolts hold the seat on. It comes with the fitting for the shutoff and the supply line to the seat.

photo2010

Reaction score
I wish I could Terry, but I have a spinal cord illness (Transverse Myelitis) that makes that impossible. It's the reason I purchased the washlet.

photo2010

Reaction score
Finally got the toilet and washlet seat installed on Monday. The plumber had never installed a bidet seat before, but was the only plumber who was willing to take the job. Guess
these seats are rare in CT. He complained about the installation from start to finish. He refused to read the instructions and as a result I had to call Brondell customer support
three times. They were very kind and helpful. At one point he locked the seat bracket onto the seat, when it was supposed to be installed on the TOTO. Even I knew that! So
I called Brondell and they said don't force the bracket off of the seat! Use the quick release button. I told him this but he had already forced it off. It took him four hours to
finish, and charged me almost $500, which i believe was a ripoff. At least it's done and seems to work well. At the end he had the nerve to say what a nice seat it is, and he
might get one for his house...

photo2010

Reaction score
I didn't watch him every minute. I'm just hoping he didn't leave out any parts.

photo2010

Reaction score
Now I find that the toilet isn't level. He shimmed it when he did the install, and I stressed how important it was that it was level, especially because of my spinal injury and balance problems. I will call him tomorrow, but I have a feeling he is going to give me a hard time. How difficult is it to make a toilet level?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How difficult is it to make a toilet level?

We set toilets to be as flush to the floor as possible. If the floor is not level, that can make it difficult.
Unless the floor is off quite a bit, it sets whatever the floor is doing. Some are low at the back, and some low at the front.
We try to pin the front of the bowl down regardless. If has to be a pretty bad floor before we consider putting shims in the front.

The seat has a large opening in the middle, and if your lower body drops into that, I can't see you "sliding" off.

If we are setting a toilet, $179.00, we might charge $50 more to do the bidet seat at the same time. We have done so many, it's mainly muscle memory.
But the first time, read the instructions. If plumbers liked to read, they wouldn't have gone into construction.
I tell my homeowners that they better read those manuals for the plumbers. Anything out of the norm, and I swear, the homeowner does a better job.

I installed a bidet seat for my sister in-law in Hoquiam. I think my brother has the only bidet seat in the entire town now.
He helps me sometimes with the web site, so one day I drove over to the coast and installed a TOTO Drake with washlet as a thankyou.
It's not something he would have done for himself.

Step 2,
Install the mounting bracket to the bowl. Duh!
Then the seat slides into the bracket.
To pull it off for cleaning, push the indent, and it slides right out again. Cool!
Yes, it's that easy.

swash_install_4_steps.jpg

Last edited:

photo2010

Reaction score
The toilet is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch lower on one side. As I mentioned, I have a spinal cord injury that affects my balance. I am in a wheelchair, and when I transfer to the toilet, the level is very noticeable to me, where it may not be to others.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would guess that they might loosen the bolts. Push tapered shims into place to achieve balance. If the gaps are big enough, maybe there would be a combination of flat shims and normal tapered shims. A pair of matched tapered shim-- one with the big end inside, and one with the big end outside, can make a nice flat combo.
shims.jpg
The shims would need to be broken/cut to be pretty much flush with what-- a wood chisel? A backsaw? A multi-tool? There are various pre-cut tapered shims available. Are you going to be upset with a little floor damage if that is covered by the caulk?

Then after level is achieved, the bolts would be tightened. Then the trimmed shims and gaps would be hidden with a putty or caulk.

That's my amateur view of how this would be done.

Think about how important front-to-back level in addition to the left-right you are looking for. You want to be very clear this time. I expect that when you said level, the plumber was thinking you meant flush without wobble.

Also check with your friends to see if one can lend you a 3 foot level before the plumber shows up.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch lower on one side.

Some toilets are that way out of the box. In fact I would say that most have some lean.

attachment.php

American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I have not used a Washet but I am interested in getting one - and find this thread very useful. Thanks to OP for starting it. After reading everything here. I have one question.

How long does it take to dry?
I have used the air-hand dryers in public restrooms and it seems like they never dry my hands completely (plus require a lot of hand to hand contact).
Should I expect the same from a Washet drier?

PS. Is it standard to have a built in drier, or is that an option for high priced models?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks