Basement Cleanout trap developed a small

Users who are viewing this thread

nyleak

Reaction score
leak! I noticed that there is a small area about the size of a Pea==at the bottom of the -U- trap.. I believe we added a cesspool chemical through the 4" cast iron cleanout--and we shouldnt have.. My question is--The rest of the trap looks solid and is solid--Is there any kind of epoxy or fiberglass patch that i can wrap about the trap? I cleaned the area good and used a dab of clear silicone adhesive the GE stuff.. That stopped the leak dead in its tracks-However i want a better patch.. I know i can have a plumber in to replace the pipe assy--i'd like to go a cheaper way tho...The -U- trap with 2 cleanouts runs along my bacement wall and then heads out the foundation out to the one cesspool.. Thanks for any answers... My email is labella62@optonline.net if you want to contact me direct... Thanks all! MARK

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
leak! I noticed that there is a small area about the size of a Pea==at the bottom of the -U- trap.. I believe we added a cesspool chemical through the 4" cast iron cleanout--and we shouldnt have.. My question is--The rest of the trap looks solid and is solid--Is there any kind of epoxy or fiberglass patch that i can wrap about the trap? I cleaned the area good and used a dab of clear silicone adhesive the GE stuff.. That stopped the leak dead in its tracks-However i want a better patch.. I know i can have a plumber in to replace the pipe assy--i'd like to go a cheaper way tho...The -U- trap with 2 cleanouts runs along my bacement wall and then heads out the foundation out to the one cesspool.. Thanks for any answers... My email is labella62@optonline.net if you want to contact me direct... Thanks all! MARK

It really is not a good idea to patch old cast iron. The small hole you see on the out side is just the start of a bigger problem. Just think the cast is rotting. The only place there is water is the inside, so if you are seeing a small hole now. The next step is a big hole or slit.

nyleak

Reaction score
Leak

Ok thanks.. I just thought there was some sort of a patch.. Like i said--The Trap is solid--i think i Messed a week spot up with the chemical i added to the pool.. My error...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may be able to eliminate this trap if allowed in your area. Check with your local building authorities.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The trap is more a weak spot in your drainage system. They cause countless drain stoppages. If you use extra thick T/P it will build up in the thing and act like a sponge. If you are able to remove it I would.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks