Diverter turns round and round and....

Users who are viewing this thread

rob21275

Reaction score
I just finished a remodeling of my front bathroom. After making sure I had no leaks, I added my escutcheons and was installing the knobs.

I run my final test -- everything looks good.

Then I go to turn the diverter to the shower position ... and the knob keeps turning and turning and turning .... going between faucet and shower, but never "stopping".

FWIW, the diverter stem is a Harcraft with the white plastic end. (See the following address for a picture: http://www.plumbingparts.org/parts/982843.html)

I have the same diverter in the other bathroom, and it stops after a couple of turns in one direction for the shower, and vice versa for the faucet.

I am concerned that if I use the "infinitely turning" diverter/shower, it could develop a leak. As replacing them seems ridiculous (the remodel was a long project, so the stems were installed months ago but haven't been used other than to test them a couple of times), is there something I might need to tighten, or is this thing broken already?

Finding these things wasn't even easy; Lowes' had the hot/cold stems, but I had to drive 20 miles to a specialty plumbing shop for the diverter, and they weren't cheap. I'd like to avoid that again, if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

I am not familiar with that specific brand of diverter, but that type typiclcally just rotates 180 degrees with an internal stop to limit it to rotating half way. Yours must have a broken stop from the description of the problem.

rob21275

Reaction score
Yeah...I looked at it, and the little "stopper" tab is not catching the outside of the groove cut for it to move in, causing it to go the full 360 degrees instead of stoping at 180.

I'm not really sure if it's just made wrong or if it the pipe which the stem is in.

But thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks