Help with chronically clogged toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

cgcg

Reaction score
Here's the problem. The toilet in my NYC apartment worked when I moved in, but eventually began clogging a lot, although not every time. Using a plunger worked some of the time, but the landlord eventually had to use an augur. After the clog had been cleared, he would test the flow of water through the toilet by sending a few wads of toilet paper down, which generally indicated a steady flow. The problem kept occurring, so his plumber replaced the toilet and a broken lead bend.

As far as I could see, the new toilet is not remarkably different from the old one in design. In any case, the change did not produce better results. In fact, it's safe to say that the new toilet clogs almost every time it's used to expel solid waste.

Because it doesn't take very long for the basin to back up after flushing, my feeling is that the clogs occur inside the toilet. The waste has trouble getting up from the bottom of the basin and over the lip of the trap or trapway (see pictures below). To be blunt, the kind of waste material involved doesn't look like it could be easily pushed around a curve.

Will a pressure toilet and a broader trapway solve this problem? (Gerber says that some traps are as wide as 3.5 inches)

I'm sure there's no way to tell for certain without examining the toilet and the pipes directly, but the landlord is all too ready to do nothing. I'd like to be able to suggest some options with a realistic chance of success. Will more force in the flush and more room in the trap help or is there something else you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Background details: I live in a five-story tenement building. There are four apartments on each floor. My apartment is one of the two rear apartments on the second floor. The bathroom is situated at the back of my apartment along the wall separating my apartment from the one across the hall. I believe the other apartment is the mirror image of mine, so the bathroom is also at the back along the interior wall. The landlord claims that the other apartment would experience problems similar to mine if there was a blockage further down the sewage line connected to my toilet.

Attachments

• toildscr_huge.jpg
    toildscr_huge.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 14,921
  • clip_image2.jpg
    clip_image2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 11,266

JimmyPipewrench

Reaction score
could be a venting problem. if the vent is clogged it will cause the water to drain slow if at all. like when you put a straw in a drink and hold your thumb over it. it wont drain till you take your thumb off and let air in.

cgcg

Reaction score
New Toilet

The new toilet is a Gerber model, but no one can figure out which one--including the landlord. We tried looking outside and inside the tank, but there are no model numbers embossed or stamped as far as any of us could see.

I can check to see if my landlord kept any records, but I suspect the new toilet didn't come straight from Gerber. In any case, it looks generally like the ones pictured if that helps any.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt if your landlord would spring for a great toilet like a Toto Drake but you might talk him into springing for a cheap good flushing toilet like a Am. Std. Cadet 3

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks