Order of things, tile, vanity, baseboards, etc.

In what order should the tile be set?

• First

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Last

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

xhenxhe

Reaction score
I am currently remodeling our bathroom. I've basically gutted the whole thing as I will be replacing the cast iron plumbing and probably the flooring due to numerous floods.

I was speaking with the person that we are going to have help us with the vanity and shower. He recommending doing the tile very last - after the vanity, toilet, baseboards, etc. He says the grout lines look better and it looks more finished.

We build a house a few years ago and the tile was the first to go in so the vanity, toilet and baseboards all sat on the tile.

I'm just curious what others think. Which is a more finished look?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet sets on the tile

The flooring is always in before the toilet sets down.

Corner molds go in after the floor is in too.
You can flip a coin on the cabinet, it can be first or last.

xhenxhe

Reaction score
The flooring is always in before the toilet sets down.
Oh right. I guess he didn't say toilet. I assumed that part. But he did say molding, which I thought was odd. The tile I just ripped out was done after the molding. I just figured they were too lazy to remove it before laying the tile.

xhenxhe

Reaction score
It's old. Our home was build in '64. But it's not massive. I've replace pretty much all the other floor molding in our house. It's not that hard to remove.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Clearly, there isn't a consensus on this one. Me, I like to do the floor before the vanity or the moldings; but that's just me.

Huge debate about this, recently, on a pro board I frequent:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40775

(standard JLC link warning: it's a pro-only forum. Feel free to read, but don't post unless you work in construction. Folks there are often pretty mean about this rule.)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
How can a bunch of supposed pros debate on and on about something that's so obvious?

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
1- Vanity
2- Flooring
3- Baseboards

Tiling up to the vanity helps "lock it in."

If you're doing a pedestal sink, flooring first.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
How can a bunch of supposed pros debate on and on about something that's so obvious?

I just re-read that... I guess it helps to know who's who.

Almost like a joke: a production guy walks into a room full of custom guys...

But the punchline is, after he admits the error of his ways... along come posts 50 & 51. Those two are not production. They're high-end custom builders. And they're the grandaddies of that forum, who really know their stuff.

Of course, nobody picked up on it, because by then it'd moved on to kitchen base cabs, and mud-bed vs wonderboard, and all that... what can I say? It's how we unwind after work.

So - more than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks