Plunging a TOTO Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

DougH

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on which Toto toilet to buy. I like the Drake but I read somewhere that the shape of the bowl makes it almost impossible to plunge in the the event it ever does clog. Is that true? Or was it a different Toto model?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be hard to find a bowl today that does not have a 2" or smaller outlet on the bowl.
Plungers have either a 2" end, or the black rubber plungers have a 2" pullout on the end.
Either way, with any brand of toilet, you would leave a little water in the bowl, and use the small end of the plunger in the bowl.
Using small strokes up and down, basically vibrating the water, then slightly pulling up a bit.
Normally the water will suck down at that point.
Many of the better toilets would rarely need plunging, and the Drake is very good. If they do need plunging, its just like the rest, it still uses a plunger sold in any hardware store.
korky_plunger.jpg

This is the best plunger to use. It is soft rubber with a pull out small end. It's a "one" hand operation.

Last edited:

frogman

Reaction score
It's true that that the configuration of the Drake bowl is not very plunger friendly- a round plunger is not happy trying to seal an oblong bowl.

For those rare Drake occasions when a plunger is needed, I've had success using a large round corrugated plastic plunger positioned at the back of the bowl, while using an old thick hand towel to seal the gap in front of the plunger. A two gloved hand operation, but it works.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One key thing Terry said...get the water rocking then quickly pull UP...don't try to force things down. It got stuck by it trying to all jam into a smaller area in the trap. By pulling up, things can rearrange themselves, and then will take an orderly exit rather than trying to jam more into that smaller space that caused the blockage in the first place. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it, but most people try to jam it in tighter...takes a lot more work, and sometimes just makes it worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks