Remove or Leave Tub Drain T

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
Before replacing the bath tub, I want to install a new tub drain with a trip lever stopper. From the photos you can see what I have left to remove is the cast brass drain tee as it mates to the pvc house drain plumbing. From the photo of the new tee, it can be seen ~2-3 threads above the tail piece. It looks to me the old tee is simply threaded into a female plastic coupling that terminates the house plumbing. IOW, the tailpiece does not join the house plumbing with a compression nut & plastic washer. Bottom line, I tried unscrewing the old cast tee, but it did not budge. I'm really reluctant to really "get after it" for fear of cracking the pvc house plumbing. The downside to leaving the old cast tee is the crud inside the tee that will inhibit the trip lever plunger. Yes, I can clean out the inside of the old tee.

Before I get myself into trouble, I would like some advice as to leaving the old tee in place versus removing it. If removing the old one, any advice to get it apart without destroying the pvc.
Thanks, FJK

Attachments

• MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 447
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 453

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will most likely have to cut below the drain and use a glue coupling beflow the threaded part of the fitting.
That's how the first one went in. They didn't thread in the tee last, they threaded it first to the FA and then glued it.

Last edited:

FJK

Reaction score
Does glue coupling mean a slip joint connector with a large nut & plastic washer? Also, what is a FA connector you speak of?
Thanks, FJK

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you use a slip joint connector, it's not glued.

A FA is a "Female Adapter"

If you use a trap adapter, you would cut off the existing FA, and glue the Trap Adapter on the stub of pipe left.
You would then drop the tailpipe of the drain tee into the trap adapter, and snug up the slip joint nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks