Shower leak

Users who are viewing this thread

steve49

Reaction score
I have a shower that was leaking behind the walls. When I took the pipe that comes out of the wall off is was broke at the 90 inside the wall. I tried a easy out took and it appears to have cracked the 90. The wall is tile and there is no access. Do I have to take out the tile cut through the wall and replace the 90 ot is there a way to salvage/repair the 90 with a special tool.
:(

Thanks!

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
Another way to it?

Well, I'm a carpenter and truly not a gifted plumber, but I do have a few thoughts... If it's copper pipe, you're going to need a bit of room to access it, and the ~1" hole behind the shower arm comes through is probably not enough room (unless you have crazy torch skills!).

Typically the easier wall to repair is the one behind the shower though, so maybe you can access it through the hallway, bedroom, whatever... it's a lot easier to patch the drywall than the tile!

Just my humble opinion...

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Accessing it on the backside of the tiled wall is preferrable if that is at all possible. Drywall repair is alot simpler than tile repair. There isnt any special tool or technique that will fix the broken 90...it will need to be replaced.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi Steve, :)

I concur. Watch out for these plumbers. They'll go in from the front and leave the patching to some poor old tile guy. A tile guy will go in from the back and leave the patching to some poor old carpenter. :D

John (a tile guy)

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Another (better) alternative:
There are new shower faucet assemblies with large estuchions (chrome or brass finish cover plates) to cover a large hole from the shower side without going through the back of it. They are made to convert former two-handle shower faucets with a single-handle new faucet and for situations like this, and will work great in this instance.
Check into those at plumbing supply houses.
Much better than tearing through and repairing tile (which you probably won't be able to match anyway, right John?)
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks