Hole in tank too small for 5/16" bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

marcusd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a smaller diameter brass bolt for the bowl-to-tank connection. One hole accepts the new 5/16" bolt just fine, but the other hole is too small. The old hardware is smaller diameter but its really corroded and I would like to replace it.

I can't seem to find a bolt with a large enough flat head on it to get a good seal with the rubber washer. I've tried using a stainless washer on top of the rubber washer but water get in between the bolt head and the steel washer. I could use another rubber washer in that joint, or maybe JB weld the steel interface.... Well you see where this is going.

Any advice where I can get the right size bolt?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can probably enlarge the hole slightly with a Dremel tool and a silicon carbide or diamond grinding bit. Use a bit that is too small to fill the hole so you can't wedge it in.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Any chance the hole has calcium or mineral deposits around it making it smaller? I'd try a small file or something to clean it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No its a Central Am. Std. Toilet that came with those cheesy 1/4" zinc plated steel bolts....
Hecho en Guatamala we have outsourced toilet manufacturing to a contry where most of the population doesn't have one!:mad:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Any decent hardware store will carry 1/4" brass round-head screws and nuts to match, SS washers, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks