Apparently Motor Vehicle Dept. wasnt hiring...

Users who are viewing this thread

eagleslawyer

Reaction score
So he became the plumbing inspector.....Man I'm screwed. He already came at me with a real attitude, over the estimated price of the job and my laready issued and reviewed plans and permits, and that was just when I was picking up my permit. I dont know about anyone else's experience with an east coast urban governmental establishment, but mine is looking like its not going to be fun.

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
I have run into both elec. and plumb. inspectors that on first meeting did not seem like they were going to play nicely. At the "rough" inspection, their attitude had somewhat changed for the better..by the "final" it was all systems go.
I guess it depends on how THEY percieve YOU on the first meeting...which is also based on how how YOU percieve THEM...some things that do not put a good impression on an inspector:
- new contractor; will probably fail first rough at least 2x creating more work for inspec.; possibly a "know it all" because they have just finished their studying
- homeowner; same as above
- young person; same as above
I have also run into inspectors that were complete gentleman from the first meet.
This is just my opinion and your mileage will vary.
Good Luck!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
mayberry usa

you got to realize when dealing with little piss-ants like plumbing inspectors,

Basically 15,000 per year flunkies with badjes,

that they are like Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show...

Just treat them like you would Barney, you got to stroke them and make

them very feel important at all times.

Dont challenge their authority in any way or else they

will make your life hell.

Act stupid and in need of help, ask them questions and listen with awe and

respect to their answers.

Butter them up every way you can, let

them feel like some sort of teacher, try to make them feel

like real big shots and they will be your best buddy, in fact they will bend

over backwards to help you, if you can just act sinscere while buttering the

fool up.

its a wonderful life , isnt it.??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
inspectors

I usually start reminiscing with them about the "good old days". One of the last ones was a bit young so I started naming the "old" inspectors to see if he knew any of them. He didn't even ask to see my license. Said, "If you know those names you have to be okay".

eagleslawyer

Reaction score
I am not mistaken, there was serious atty-tude

got the whole chicken neck thing and everything. I was at my local athletic association and talked with one of my friends fathers who was a licensed plumber and fireman for 40 years. In this day and age I can not repeat what he said about our "inspector".

He told me all about this guy and how he couldn't get on fire dept---has real chip on his shoulder. Most of you mid or west coasters have no idea what I'm talking about. Its a city thing. But I bet the guy from NJ would be able to relate to the experience of the Camden, Newark, Jersey City or Oranges' inspector for similar treatment.

I deal with large urban bureacracies daily. I know the treatment and I am getting it. I feel so screwed.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh I know some like that even here in the midwest. It isnt just a big city thing. I wont name names as I want my inspections to go as smoothly as possible in the future. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they're in nearly every city/county/township in the nation.

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
eagleslawyer said:
But I bet the guy from NJ would be able to relate to the experience of the Camden, Newark, Jersey City or Oranges' inspector for similar treatment.

I deal with large urban bureacracies daily. I know the treatment and I am getting it. I feel so screwed.

Would that be me?
;)

I "almost" had a run in with one of the elec. inspec. in JC. He had all his testers out to make sure the voltage drop wasn't a violation on the this 2nd flr kitchen rehab I did. I was not worried as I did everything correctly. After the job passed, I asked him: "So, how's John doing?" He looked at me all shocked(no pun) and surprised - John was like 7 yrs. old...he settled down when I told him my wife was his son's teacher! LOL....then he says, "you should have told me your wife is my son's teacher"....now why would I do that? I wanted a real inspection, customer paid for a real inspection, etc.

Another inspec., this time in a smaller town..came to inspect a violation I fixed (no GFCI outlet in bathroom, put in a new outlet, direct to panel as per code). Inspector shows up, looks at outlet, presses "trip" button and says "ok, you pass". I asked "well don't you want to see that this is on it's breaker?"..to which he says " ..nah, it doesn't really matter". Amazing...simply amazing. Maybe he knew that wouldn't be a $50 in the panel :eek:

You'll run into all types.

Yet another time, I had the plumbing inspec. come out to a rental property I own to check the plumbers work. They spent at least 45 - 60 mins, BSing in the basement. Obviously, the plumber and the inspect. had a good working relationship ~ the inspect. just asked that I run some water in the affected unit. I stayed out of "their" conversation.

MPM has the right idea...shut up ~ unless your stroking the ego...LOL. This holds true for many, but NOT all.

Yet another elec. inspec. I have come across knew me from way back. 10 years later he sees me on a job (I am working for a different contractor at this point) and spends 20 minutes or so BSing with me. After handing the owner numerous "red stickers", the owner finally comes by and says to me "If I had known you and John were friends I would have let you do the walk through with him". Not likely! With 50+ electricians on the job - some of dubious character and ability - why would I jeopordize my relationship with the inspec.?

An inspector can be either your buddy or your nightmare - it all depends on how you handle the situation.

Good luck!

Don

Reaction score
I've always heard horror stories about inspectors..oh man!! you don't won't to build in this or that County..I've dealt with some (so called) tough ones..I've found that upon meeting these people..if I express my tendancy to over build and ask their opion about a certain phase of the work I'm about to do..they all become very human and cooperative...even waive a re-inspection fee and drop by a half hour later to sign off on your work when a small alteration is needed.....be humble...let them know that YOU know they are in charge...they will ask you to go fishing with them...Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks