basement bathtub install - morter patch

Users who are viewing this thread

nayte

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement, and will be installing a two or three piece tub / shower. My basement has been roughed in. There is a 2 inch pipe sticking out of the cement floor for the tub drain. Should there be a morter patch that I need to chip out in order to properly install the drain and overflow?

Also, do I need to install aqua board behind the tub and shower, or can the 3 piece shower simply be attached directly to the studs?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
2" line is required for a shower. 1-1/2" line for a tub. So, it may have been plumbed for a shower instead of a tub. Not a big problem, but yes, you need to probably tear out a little bit to see what's there, and you'll need a fitting to make the sizes match up. It would be rare that the pipe was exactly where you wanted it, so tearing out a little will allow you to accommodate the tub drain. You need to verify there's a trap in there, and after you get things checked out, you might go with a 1-1/2" trap - it might give you a little more leaway verses the bigger one.

No need for anything on the walls although you may want to put up a vapor barrier. Most of those that I've seen are designed to bring the drywall down over the flange of the enclosure.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
2" is a minimum pipe size under grade. It could be either a tub or, a shower drain. Size would not be an indicator here. Placement would be! Is the placement where a tub drain would land or, a shower drain?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks