Autorol 255/400, no ball in check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

copeda

Reaction score
My local dealer told me that he removes the check ball because it causes problems when it gets stuck. He said the system works fine without it. The morning after a regeneration we hear air in the lines when we use the toilet, sink or shower for the first time that day.

I am guessing the air problem is related to the missing check ball and can it do any harm? I wonder if the air passing through the system might cause problems when passing through the resin tank, loss of resin, etc.

Thanks,

Copeda

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My guess is the local dealer knows more than the factory engineers that designed the system... "A man has to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
My local dealer told me that he removes the check ball because it causes problems when it gets stuck. He said the system works fine without it. The morning after a regeneration we hear air in the lines when we use the toilet, sink or shower for the first time that day.

I am guessing the air problem is related to the missing check ball and can it do any harm? I wonder if the air passing through the system might cause problems when passing through the resin tank, loss of resin, etc.

Thanks,

Copeda

That is the air check, and you're right and the 'dealer' doesn't know what he's doing. Allowing it to suck air can lead to problems and it traps air in the resin tank until the next regeneration's backwash in the next regeneration.

I've been in the business for 21 years and have a lot of experience servicing Autotrol valves and haven't seen stuck air check balls except in valves that have been removed from service and the water evaporates out of the check reservoir. Brine refill water flow (it has full main water pressure on it) would unstick a ball on a valve that is in service. The previous version of the 255, the 155, you couldn't get the ball out without busting the reservoir, and the all didn't stick in them.

IMO the ball also more or less controls the flow rate of the brine draw and without that the unit is probably finished drawing brine before it should be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks