Will a Toto Drake handle....

Users who are viewing this thread

mysticturner

Reaction score
My wife is on some medications that make her constipated. When she does poop, it's massive. There's an internet joke going around giving names to various kinds of poop. We've added a new one. The Fisherman - so massive you know it won't go down so I fish it out with rubber gloves and so impressive you (almost) want to take pictures to prove it existed. Her latest creation was The Bridge - so stiff that it was self supporting spanning across the outlet after numerous flushes. The flushes took the TP around the poop and down the drain but left the bridge in place.

Needless to say, the Kohler Wellworth's in the house just don't get it done. And I don't even waste time with a plunger, I go straight to a snake. Looking at the Toto Drake as the answer to my nightmares. One more tidbit of information. I've never pulled the toilet to see if it's part of the problem, but the master bath drain line has one of those offset flange things that are used to move the drain an inch or two one way or another if the pipe coming up is not in just the right location. It was installed when the house was built and the drain did not come thru the slab centered in the toilet area. The other toilets plug up too, just not as often, but they don't get used as often either.

The question I pose is this:
Has anyone else had a similar problem, and did a Toto Drake handle it?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I don't know the size were talking about, the Caroma toilets have a 4" trap way and will handle anything she can pass.

They are as clog proof as your going to get.

I have installed a few for people that have had similar problems without 1 call back. I have sold about 30 or so of them and I always sell them with a guarantee that says I will come out the first year for free to unstop the toilet if necessary.

I have yet to go out to do that.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You're going to be famous

My wife is on some medications that make her constipated. When she does poop, it's massive. There's an internet joke going around giving names to various kinds of poop. We've added a new one. The Fisherman - so massive you know it won't go down so I fish it out with rubber gloves and so impressive you (almost) want to take pictures to prove it existed. Her latest creation was The Bridge - so stiff that it was self supporting spanning across the outlet after numerous flushes. The flushes took the TP around the poop and down the drain but left the bridge in place.

Needless to say, the Kohler Wellworth's in the house just don't get it done. And I don't even waste time with a plunger, I go straight to a snake. Looking at the Toto Drake as the answer to my nightmares. One more tidbit of information. I've never pulled the toilet to see if it's part of the problem, but the master bath drain line has one of those offset flange things that are used to move the drain an inch or two one way or another if the pipe coming up is not in just the right location. It was installed when the house was built and the drain did not come thru the slab centered in the toilet area. The other toilets plug up too, just not as often, but they don't get used as often either.

The question I pose is this:
Has anyone else had a similar problem, and did a Toto Drake handle it?

I nominate this thread, thread of the year.

If you created those names, you need to copyright the term because people will crack up when they hear that description. Go youtube the printed version of this and you'll probably get famous real quick.:p

Your situation is considered an impacted or enlarged bowel that causes people to defecate huge without control. If there's anyone that feels better after a movement, people that are afflicted with this almost feel "heavenly" after the tormented moment. Sleep is considered a normal step or eating a lot after the episode.

I'd get a potty chair and time when you put the matter in the toilet, soaking in water so it is more manageable. Short of a blowout toilet but that's no competition to the bridge or fisherman without cutting knives in the toilet slicing it up for evacuation.

mysticturner

Reaction score
I nominate this thread, thread of the year.

If you created those names, you need to copyright the term because people will crack up when they hear that description. Go youtube the printed version of this and you'll probably get famous real quick.:p

Well we made up the Fisherman and the Bridge, but here's the full list, found on some internet joke my sister-in-law probably sent me.

THE GHOST POOPIE - The kind where you feel poopie come out, see poopie on the toilet paper, but there's no poopie in the bowl.

THE CLEAN POOPIE -The kind where you feel poopie come out, see poopie in the bowl, but there's no poopie on the toilet paper.

THE WET POOPIE - You wipe fifty times and it still feels unwiped. So you end up putting toilet paper between your bottom and your underwear so you don't ruin them with those dreadful skid marks.

THE SECOND WAVE POOPIE - This poopie happens when you've finished, your pants are up to your knees, and you suddenly realize you have to poopie some more.

THE BRAIN HEMORRAHAGE THROUGH YOUR NOSE POOPIE - Also known as "Pop a Vein in your Forehead Poopie". You have to strain so much to get it out that you turn purple and practically have a stroke.

THE CORN POOPIE - No explanation necessary.

THE LINCOLN LOG POOPIE - The kind of poopie that's so enormous you're afraid to flush it down without first breaking it up into little pieces with the toilet brush.

THE NOTORIUS DRINKER POOPIE - The kind of poopie you have the morning after a long night of drinking. It's most noticeable trait is the tread mark left on the bottom of the toilet bowl after you flush.

THE "GEE, I REALLY WISH I COULD POOPIE" POOPIE - The kind where you want to poopie, but even after straining your guts out, all you can do is sit on the toilet, cramped and farting.

THE WET CHEEKS POOPIE - Also known as the "Power Dump". That's the kind that comes out so fast that your butt cheeks get splashed with the toilet water.

THE LIQUID POOPIE - That's the kind where yellowish-brown liquid shoots out of your butt, splashes all over the side of the toilet bowl and, at the same time, chronically burns your tender poop-chute.

THE MEXICAN FOOD POOPIE - A class all its own.

THE CROWD PLEASER - This poopie is so intriguing in size and/or appearance that you have to show it to someone before flushing.

THE MOOD ENHANCER - This poopie occurs after a lengthy period of constipation, thereby allowing you to be your old self again.

THE RITUAL - This poopie occurs at the same time each day and is accomplished with the aid of a newspaper.

THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS POOPIE - A poopie so noteworthy it should be recorded for future generations.

THE AFTERSHOCK POOPIE - This poopie has an odor so powerful than anyone entering the vicinity within the next 7 hours is affected.

THE "HONEYMOON'S OVER" POOPIE - This is any poopie created in the presence of another person.

THE GROANER - A poopie so huge it cannot exit without vocal assistance.

THE FLOATER - Characterized by its floatability, this poopie has been known to resurface after many flushings.

THE RANGER - A poopie which refuses to let go. It is usually necessary to engage in a rocking or bouncing motion,but quite often the only solution is to push it away with a small piece of toilet paper.

THE PHANTOM POOPIE - This appears in the toilet mysteriously and no one will admit to putting it there.

THE PEEK-A-BOO POOPIE - Now you see it, now you don't. This poopie is playing games with you. Requires patience and muscle control.

THE BOMBSHELL - A poopie that comes as a complete surprise at a time that is either inappropriate to poopie (ie. during lovemaking or a root canal) or you are nowhere near poopie-ing facilities.

THE SNAKE CHARMER - A long skinny poopie which has managed to coil itself into a frightening position - usually harmless.

THE OLYMPIC POOPIE - This poopie occurs exactly one hour prior to the start of any competitive event in which you are entered and bears a close resemblance to the Drinker's Poopie.

THE BACK-TO-NATURE POOPIE - This poopie may be of any variety but is always deposited either in the woods or while hiding behind the passenger side of your car.

THE PEBBLES-FROM-HEAVEN POOPIE - An adorable collection of small turds in a cluster, often a gift from God when you actually CAN'T poopie.

PREMEDITATED POOPIE - Laxative induced. Doesn't count.

POOPIEZOPHERENIA - Fear of poopieting - can be fatal!

ENERGIZER vs DURACELL POOPIE - Also known as a "Still Going" poopie.

THE POWER DUMP POOPIE - The kind that comes out so fast, you barely get your pants down when you're done.

THE LIQUID PLUMBER POOPIE - This kind of poopie is so big it plugs up the toilet and it overflows all over the floor. (You should have followed the advice from the Lincoln Log Poopie.)

THE SPINAL TAP POOPIE - The kind of poopie that hurts so much coming out, you'd swear it's got to be coming out sideways.

THE "I THINK I'M GIVING BIRTH THROUGH MY ASSHOLE" POOPIE - Similar to the Lincoln Log and The Spinal Tap Poopies. The shape and size of the turd resembles a tall boy beer can. Vacuous air space remains in the rectum for some time afterwards.

THE PORRIDGE POOPIE - The type that comes out like toothpaste, and just keeps on coming. You have two choices: (a) flush and keep gong, or (b) risk it piling up to your butt while you sit there helpless.

THE "I'M GOING TO CHEW MY FOOD BETTER" POOPIE - When the bag of Doritos you ate last night lacerates the insides of your rectum on the way out in the morning.

THE "I THINK I'M TURNING INTO A BUNNY" POOPIE - When you drop lots of cute, little round ones that look like marbles and make tiny splashing sounds when they hit the water.

THE "WHAT THE HELL DIED IN HERE?" POOPIE - Also sometimes referred to as The Toxic Dump. Of course you don't warn anyone of the poisonous bathroom odor. Instead, you stand innocently near the door and enjoy the show as they run out gagging and gasping for air.

THE "I JUST KNOW THERE'S A TURD STILL DANGLING THERE" POOPIE - Where you just sit there patiently and wait for the last cling-on to drop off because if you wipe now, it's going to smear all over the place.

THE FISHERMAN POOPIE - Similar to the Lincoln Log Poopie, this poopie is enormous, but you know that even breaking it up will not enable it to flush. You contemplate it for several minutes and finally don surgical gloves and fish it out and into a trash bag. Completing the task of fishing, you realize how heavy this monster is and decide to weigh it before 'releasing' it to the outside trash can. To properly qualify as a competitive entry, it must weigh at least one and a half pounds. Later, as you hear the trash truck pull up, you realize you never took a picture and no one will ever believe you when you say "It was this big..." with your hands spread some distance apart. With later tellings, the distance will increase.

THE GOOGLE OGOGLE POOPIE - Similar to the Crowd Pleaser, this poopie is so noteworthy that you not only have to show someone, you have to post it on Google Video or Pictures for the world to see.

THE BRIDGE - Not necessarily enormously huge, either in girth or length, but possessing amazing structural strength. It must land so that it forms a bridge over the toilet opening. Numerous flushes will not dislodge it from it's chosen location. Highly recommended to break it up before actually allowing it to pass or it is likely to lodge inside, unable to bend around the inner turns of the toilet piping.

mysticturner

Reaction score
While I don't know the size were talking about, the Caroma toilets have a 4" trap way and will handle anything she can pass.

They are as clog proof as your going to get.

I have installed a few for people that have had similar problems without 1 call back. I have sold about 30 or so of them and I always sell them with a guarantee that says I will come out the first year for free to unstop the toilet if necessary.

I have yet to go out to do that.

Now that I just hijacked my own thread into a comedy show, back to the question at hand. What size you say? 1.5" diameter, 10"-14" length

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Now thats some serious loaf... I don't care where your from!

I sometimes wonder if I'm reading a post by a stoned college student:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

mysticturner

Reaction score
No, I'm not a stoned college student. I'm a ticked off middle age budding geezer who has fought too many plugs to care what the toilet looks like - I want performance! And I haven't gone through it all, but your poopreport.com link looks like I could waste a lot of hours on.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No, I'm not a stoned college student. I'm a ticked off middle age budding geezer who has fought too many plugs to care what the toilet looks like - I want performance! And I haven't gone through it all, but your poopreport.com link looks like I could waste a lot of hours on.

I don't know if the Caroma, or any toilet for that matter, would handel a 14"r but if any toilet will it would be a Caroma Caravelle with 4" trap way.

Even if it didn't you would only have to break it in 1/2 to deal with it.

You may want to document all this and enter it into the Guinness Book of World Records!!!!

mysticturner

Reaction score
Last night I went to the Caroma web site and checked out the video. Impressive! And an independent hardware store here in Dallas is a dealer. You've certainly given me something to think about. I'm going to need to check out costs of the Caroma vs Toto, parts availability, etc.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The Caroma flushvalve assembly has a lifetime parts guarentee. The fill valve is a 400A, avaliable at any hardware store in the country.

The only part on the flush valve assembly that is replaceable is a small flat rubber O ring on the bottom that I have never had to replace on any of them yet but you could get one when you buy one and have it incase you need it. I bet they would even give you one if you ask if you purchase a Caroma.

I think even Terry would recomend the Caroma for your situation. The Toto has a 2-1/8" exit hole on the bottom. edit by Terry

You can't beat a 4" trapway for large problem flushes. :D

mysticturner

Reaction score
I've visited several Internet supply houses and the price difference appears to be about $240 ($250 for a Toto Drake vs $475-$500 for the Caroma Caravelle). I haven't yet gone over to one of our local hardware stores here in Dallas that is listed as a dealer. But I'll probably be buying from them as I prefer dealing with local businesses (Quality service does add value).

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a Tasman 270 which is basicly a Caravell with a plastic tank that is less $$$$...it also has the 4" trapway.

Terry corrected me, the exit hole on the drake is 2 1/8".

That is what I ment to say...there is no toilet made that I know of with a 1 1/2" exit hole...My bad...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell Caroma dual flush toilets in the Seattle area,

I've been selling them for years, they do have very large trapways, and those with medical problems may want to check into them.
I sell a lot of the 270 bowls.

Last edited:

mysticturner

Reaction score
Well I stopped off at the speciallity hardware store here in Dallas (Elliott's) who is a distributor of Caroma. They can get me any of the models within 24 hrs, and have some models in stock. The Caravell in a easy height (ADA) and elongated bowl is $533 list, sells for ~$425. About $200 more than the Toto (don't know what model Toto he was price comparing to).

But $425 for the opportunity to be able to flush my plunger and snake down the toilet (not really, but you get the idea)? :D I've lost a lot more money buying bad beds and it's gotta be better than the Kohler Wellworth I've got now. Gonna order one in a couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how this baby works.

Note to self: remember to set the video cam up :D.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks