(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 2nd floor hot water

Default 2nd floor hot water

Hi

I live in a home with a basement and two stories above it. (I've lived here 20yrs)

Lately I've been noticing that sometimes when you turn on the 2nd floor's hot water you'll hear what sounds like air in the line. I've not yet noticed it in the cold.

Where the pipes come up from the basement I've seen no evidence of a leak or any water damage (which should be pretty easy to see....)

As well, none of the faucets appear to have a slow leak/drip/etc.

Any idea of what could be causing this? (is this even a problem?)

Thanks!

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

Spitting and sputtering of air and water from the faucet is the usual indicator of air in the lines.
    How old is your water heater? Does it seem to be producing hotter water right now?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
    Spitting and sputtering of air and water from the faucet is the usual indicator of air in the lines.
    How old is your water heater? Does it seem to be producing hotter water right now?
    Mike
    Yea, that is exactly what it sounds like.

The heater is under 5 years old and is not leaking anywhere. The water seems the same temperature as it has been since I set it.

I'm now noticing air in the lines of my first floor hot water lines too

any idea what could be causing this?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you have a well, air in the lines could be from well problems. That would normally show up in both hot and cold, though.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    If you have a well, air in the lines could be from well problems. That would normally show up in both hot and cold, though.
    yea, that is the weird thing. It's municipal water and it's only showing up in the hot water.

There is no faucet or pipe leaking anywhere in the house that I can see and the water heater (gas) seems to be heating the water properly still. I've noticed zero temp fluctuation since this problem started....