Filter relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

R_2016

Reaction score
Hi, My AC unit in my house is located in a closet in my garage and it is a real pain in the a** to get to when it comes time to change the filter. The air intake vent is located in the hallway and what I want to do is replace the air intake vent cover with a vent cover that will accept a filter right behind it (meaning the filter will be located right behind the vent cover and I would just change the filter in the hallway) Does anyone know where I could get something like this and what it is called. The dimensions of the vent cover are about 22"X22".Thanks

therinnaiguy

Reaction score
Filter

The easy way to do it is to go to a sheetmetal shop with a filter in hand large enough for the return air grill and have them make up a filter rack for you. Bring with you the grill so they can modify it. It would be to your benefit to have them mount 2 hinges and a securing tab on the grill so you will not have to unscrew the screws each time you change your filter.

geno54

Reaction score
Or you can get what is called a "filter grill" that has a hinged door to remove and install a filter

You need to know the inside dimensions of the opening where the transfer grill is now. You may have to remove it to measure. If the outside dimensions of your grill are 22 x 22 then you probably have a 20 x 20 opening. But measure to be sure. Take the opening dimensions to a sheet metal supplier or shop and ask for a filter grill. Then you will need filters to fit that grill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks