Spray foam insulation on PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

RemodelBob

Reaction score
what type of insulation do you use around pex when going between stories? normally i would use spray foam around the copper and romex, but I am not sure if that will hurt the pex.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
what type of insulation do you use around pex when going between stories? normally i would use spray foam around the copper and romex, but I am not sure if that will hurt the pex.

Why would you use spray foam? You ever think what a pain it will be to make any repairs in the future. If the pipe chase is in the middle of the house I would not bother to put anything on it. I would only put pipe wrap on any pipes. I think it is alot simpler to use and looks alot nicer.

Fidodie

Reaction score
I've gotten the spray stuff onto vinyl replacement windows, and it definately compromises the finish. The windows should be tougher, since they need to stand up to UV.

Rock Wool would allow you to fill the whole (hole?) space. Especially important in exterior of balloon framed homes.....

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I cover about 1’ of the pipe in duck tape then I use spray foam. I have used Rook Wool but the inspectors don’t like it where I’m at.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
I was thinking about tape, but I also worry about that compromising the PEX. PEX sure is delicate...

How about foam pipe wrap and then spray foam around that?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I was thinking about tape, but I also worry about that compromising the PEX. PEX sure is delicate...

How about foam pipe wrap and then spray foam around that?

I would do that that. If I had to do what you are talking about I would do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks