(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: spray foam insulation on pex?

Default spray foam insulation on pex?

what type of insulation do you use around pex when going between stories? normally i would use spray foam around the copper and romex, but I am not sure if that will hurt the pex.

Quote Originally Posted by remodelbob View Post
    what type of insulation do you use around pex when going between stories? normally i would use spray foam around the copper and romex, but I am not sure if that will hurt the pex.
    Why would you use spray foam? You ever think what a pain it will be to make any repairs in the future. If the pipe chase is in the middle of the house I would not bother to put anything on it. I would only put pipe wrap on any pipes. I think it is alot simpler to use and looks alot nicer.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

i need to get something in there as a fire block. spray foam is fast and easy.

Oh cool I see your point.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Spray foam is rated as a fire stop/block material?

Some of them are.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

I've gotten the spray stuff onto vinyl replacement windows, and it definately compromises the finish. The windows should be tougher, since they need to stand up to UV.

Rock Wool would allow you to fill the whole (hole?) space. Especially important in exterior of balloon framed homes.....
    Pat

Do it once, Do it right.
    Buy or Rent the necessary tools.
    Call a pro when your skills are stretched too far.

I cover about 1í of the pipe in duck tape then I use spray foam. I have used Rook Wool but the inspectors donít like it where Iím at.

I was thinking about tape, but I also worry about that compromising the PEX. PEX sure is delicate...

How about foam pipe wrap and then spray foam around that?

Quote Originally Posted by remodelbob View Post
    I was thinking about tape, but I also worry about that compromising the PEX. PEX sure is delicate...

How about foam pipe wrap and then spray foam around that?
    I would do that that. If I had to do what you are talking about I would do that.