Tub Spout won't come off

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my tub spout. The first time I did this 6 years ago, all I had to do was turn it counter-clockwise and screw a new one in. This time however the spout won't come off, I have turned it many times and it doesn't seem to come move at all. I have double checked it is doesn't have a set screw. The weird thing is it just keep turning. Any ideas on what is going on, maybe the pipe rusted onto the spout? How would I then get it off?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The old one was probably metal, then new one mostly plastic (on the insides anyways). My guess is that the threaded section is broken away from the supports, but is still holding it in place. Might have to cut it away to get it off. See what the others have to say...

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

When you say "pot metal" what part of the spout do you mean. I don't know much about this stuff. Do meant to melt off the entire spout off of the pipe?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think it is a good idea to melt a plastic spout. I would cut it off. try not to cut the pipe.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
pot metal

Usually the actual spout is pot metal chrome

its very very cheap metal that will literally melt
like lead when heated enough...

when i get one that I think I might twist off in the wall

I will usualy attempt to melt it off before doing damage to the copper arm ......

Of course if it is a plastic spout ,

that could be a little messy

it really depends on what is comming out of the wall
and what is is attched to

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually take my channel lock pliers and give them (the pot metal ones) a little crush breaking off the outer shell. Kinda like cracking a lobstah claw. Once its gone you'll see whats inside. My prediction is that there was a locking screw but you turned it and couldn't see it after that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

I basically took my blow torch and heated up the spout in the front. This allowed the plastic inside to melt slight and slide right off. I think had another small plastic part on the inside that wouldn't budge, so I basically slightly heated up the pipe and that allowed the plastic part to come off.
now I am trigger happy with the torch ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks