Capping off light switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmtm21

Reaction score
What do I need to do to cap off a light switch that will not be needed anymore. There are 3 balck wires connecting to the back of the switch and the whites are all bundled together. Thanks.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
This must be a 3-way switch. Are you saying you don't need the light anymore, or that you don't need to switch it from 2 places anymore?

Dmtm21

Reaction score
I don't need the light anymore. I think i figured out that one of the blacks comes form the light fixture, and the other two are the circuit. I grouped all three blacks together and capped them off and the house is still standing, so I guess it's ok.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't need the light anymore. I think i figured out that one of the blacks comes form the light fixture, and the other two are the circuit. I grouped all three blacks together and capped them off and the house is still standing, so I guess it's ok.

You're lucky!

You almost certainly have an unused hot wire running somewhere. If it had created a short it would probably have tripped the breaker before it started a fire.

If someone ever has to go into that light outlet they will probably find a hot wire and will have no idea how to turn it off.

Dmtm21

Reaction score
I capped the wires that were coming out of the light on the wall as well. Should I pull that unused black wire out of the loop, if so what about the white in the bundle?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As long as everything is securely capped off and the j boxes are covered you are ok.

Do NOT bury the switch box behing plaster/drywall etc. Someday, someone may ve looking for that connection you made.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would cap off each black wire, individually, in each box so if some home owner in the future try's to reconnect the circuit and doesn't know the other end blacks are all together he won't end up with a dead short in his face.

Once each wire is capped off, then replace the 2 switch plates with 2 solid cover plates and you are done.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I would cap off each black wire, individually, in each box so if some home owner in the future try's to reconnect the circuit and doesn't know the other end blacks are all together he won't end up with a dead short in his face.

Once each wire is capped off, then replace the 2 switch plates with 2 solid cover plates and you are done.

What she said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks