position of tub filler relative to claw foot tub

Users who are viewing this thread

scoobs

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm wondering if there's a standard depth to placing a tub filler relative to the tub. Should the spout be directly over the drain in the tub? I'm doing a wall-mounted tub filler over a claw foot tub. The depth of the tub filler from the wall will be between 7" and 8 1/4" (from wall to end of spout). The claw foot tub is 70" long and from the edge of the tub to the drain is 11" +/- 1".

I'm thinking of hitting it just behind the drain to clear the overfill on the tub (3 1/8" in from the edge), but wanted to get opinions on it. I'm trying to center the tub between two walls so this dimension determines where I build my new wall.

Attached are the drawings of both fixtures and floor plan where the tub is.

Thanks! Jon

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 12,954
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 631
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 745

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a safety code issue that is probably the only fixed thing for a tub - the inlet needs to be above the flood rim by some amount (don't remember the distance). Other than that, you could put it anywhere. Most common is centered on the drain end. It's not a good idea for it to hit things like maybe the overflow knob on the way down as it could splash everywhere, but other than that...wherever you want it.

scoobs

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks very much for the reply - drain seems as good a target as any. And thanks for the heads up on the min height code - I will make a note on my drawings to make sure... Even though I plumbed the last few bathrooms (small) all by my lonesome :), this one is so much bigger and has so many changes and additions, I'm leaving it the pros... Yet, I'll still be keeping the pros honest with this forum over the next several weeks! :D

Thanks again,

Jon

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I used to think it was a rediculous requirement and then I read some stories about backflow from things like this. Still I thought in my sink, what would be this risk? I did observe, though, that when the washer fills the water will not run in the sink upstairs. In fact, turn it on and you can hear it sucking air! (All of my sinks do meet code).

I have adequete pressure, but I've got an 83 yr old 1" galvanized water pipe coming in to the house. I'm sure it's corroded inside to like 1/4." So, very little flow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime a main is shut off, it draws water from the homes.
Without the 1" air gap, you would be sucking in dirty water into the supply lines.
I saw something on Discovery one night, where they mentioned that Chicago was pulling water from the Great Lakes.
During a storm runoff, the water became contaminated, and people were dying.
A decision was made to come up with plumbing rules, or codes to prevent that from happening.
Go to any third world country, you know, the ones where you don't drink the water, and they live with sickness and death?
One of the big advantages of living where people can afford to have health inspections and building inspections, is to make sure your friendly neighbor is not finding ways to poison your family.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks