Shower Drain over Floor Joist

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryK57

Reaction score
I'm installing a 36"x36" shower base in a bathroom I'm remodeling and the drain is directly over a 2"x10" floor joist. I know I'll have to notch the joist, but I need to know the best way to do that and do the least amount of damage. The drain itself will be less than 2 feet from the sill plate, so I'm pretty sure if I marry another 2"x10" to the notched beam it should keep it from flexing. I know I'm not the only person who ever ran across this problem so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
just do it

the best advice I can telll you is to cut it deep enough to use a 45 ell and a 45 street ell it down along the joist to your trap. That works reall well to conserve the wood. Depending on wether you are useing a plastic drain , or the drain is manufactured into the unit already.

the other thing I can tell you is to cut it liberal enough that the 45 or the trap is not really stressed or pressing against the wood or the shower base in any way.

The reason for this is once you put the shower in, you dont want the plastic to "creak" or rub against the wood whenever anyone steps into the shower and stands directly on the drain.

Have that happen to you on a giant re-model only to find out after you are 100% completely done.that the floor sweaks and creaks when someone takes a shower. ...now ..thats a real joy.

LarryK57

Reaction score
Thanks Mark! The best solutions are usually the simple ones. I sort of figured it would be something like that but it's always best to have a professional opinion. Thanks again for the response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks