Basement Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

kregas

Reaction score
I am in the process on finishing my basement. It consists of 2, 225sq/ft rooms and a full bathroom. Can anyone tell me if I might possibly be wrong in my electrical layout?

Circuit 1 - 20amp breaker and 12/2 ROMEX®. I wired the receptacles for both main rooms. There are 10 total with the first in the string being a GFI.

Circuit 2 - 15amp breaker and 12/2 ROMEX®. I wired the lighting for both main rooms. There are 16 recessed lights total each with 60 watt bulbs.

Circuit 3 - 20amp breaker and 12/2 ROMEX®. I wired the bathroom. There is 1 GFI, a light bar over the sink containing 3 - 60 watt bulbs and an exhaust fan.

Circuit 4 - 15amp breaker and 12/2 ROMEX®. I wired for my home theater. This basically runs to 4 receptacles and an over head light (60 watt bulb) as my cabling is located under my basement stairs that I converted into a space for my home theater wires/cables.

Circuit 4 I separated for no specific reason other than I thought my plasma TV, stereo, etc. pulled too much wattage to be included on circuit 1.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would put the electronics on a seperate circuit, and use maybe a panel on a Noise & Surge protection for the plugs for the electronics to plug into. Reason being, if you have a area that see's a lot of brownouts, or other electrical issues, it shortens the life span of the electronics. Also, using a UPS on those items that would benefit (DBS, CATV, LCD or DLP that uses a Bulb), helps to lengthen the lifespan.

As for the area under the stairs for the electronic cabinet, how do you plan on protecting from Heat, Flooding, Smoke detection, and cooling to remove the heat build up besides using a vent in the door?

kregas

Reaction score
I purchased a power management system from Monster Cable. I think this should be ok as far as surge protection/noise/etc.

The closet isn't going to hold anything that will generate large amounts of heat. All the components will be on the outside in one of the main rooms. The closet is mainly an area where the cables will disappear behind the wall so the install looks clean on the outside. All cables will be at least 24 inches off the floor.

As far as the other circuits, do I look to be on track? My main concern was the circuit with the recessed lighing.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would of gone with something else, then Monster Cable, due to a big argument is that they are overpriced, compared to some of the better products out there. Circuit 2 is only 960 watts, so it is well under the limit for the circuit.

Also, as for keeping the equipment in the room, it would be cleaner to put in a closet where the A/V wiring would terminate, rather then have in the room.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Circuits 1, 2, and 4 provide 2400 + 1800 + 1800 = 6000 Watts.

At 3 Watts per square foot that is enough for 2000 square ft.

You have maybe 450 to 500 square feet.

You have plenty of power.

The only thing you might want to consider is putting a 20 Amp breaker on Circuit #4 (you already have #12 wire) in case you power up 1500 Watts of surround sound speakers along with the TV set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks