American Standard Plebe Tank to Bowl Gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Hilton

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Plebe 4083 L85 toilet. When I went to replace the tank to bowl gasket I noticed it does not have a cone shaped gasket like sold in stores. When I try to use this cone gasket the tank sits up real high and rocks because it is unable to meet the bowl. I have been to plumbing supply houses and they say this is the only gasket used. This gasket has never been replaced and I have three of these toilets that have the same gaskets since new. Has anyone seen this or replaced this type of gasket or know where I can get one?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The gasket you need is called an American Standard gasket - at least, that's how I order them. I keep a stock of them because they're common.

Hilton

Reaction score
Herk, if you go to this page and look at the gasket that says for American Standard, it does not look like that it is not cone shaped. It looks more like the gasket on that page for a Calidad. Is this what you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You got it! one side of the Am. Std. gasket has the cone and the other side has the recessed area like the Calidad. The flush valve nut goes in that recessed area. The picture did not show that recessed area but it is there on the Am. Std. gasket.

plebe-tank-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike in texas

Reaction score
Hilton, I am having the same issue. The gasket has the recess on it for the flush valve nut but I can not find one where the cone stops and then has a flange that fits the base. Did you have any luck finding one?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The gasket looks like this on the flush valve side....

pACE3-956164dt.jpg

And is rounded on the other side.

Mike in texas

Reaction score
I would not call it rounded. It flattens out and then has a lip. Please see the picture attached.

Attachments

• American Standard Plebe - Tank to bowl gasket.jpg
    American Standard Plebe - Tank to bowl gasket.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5,783

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

You are looking at a worn out gasket. If you had seen it when it was new it would have looked EXACTLY like the ones you are being told to use.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That lip was created when the gasket was pressed into the bowl for a period of years.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Bumping this....

I have a older Cadet I had to replace the wax seal on and had to remove the tank to dismount the bowl. I got a new gasket which looks like the one pictured, a Fluidmaster from HD. Put everything back together but the tank of rocking a bit too much IMO, my guess is because the new gasket is not compressed as the old one was. I don't want to overtighten those bolts. Is there a trick to it? or is that normal and I should tighen those bolts more?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If you're fine with a bit of a wobble and it doesn't leak then call it good. Otherwise be in for an excercise in futility.

annexit

Reaction score
What about no gasket?

Hi, all,

While in the process of replacing an ancient closet bend and repairing a floor in the bathroom, I set aside the toilet (have two others) - for various reasons I could not get back to finishing the job until now a few months later. When I took out my ancient American Standard (model F4049 - last manufactured, I think around 1983), I kept all the parts as far as I know, but it has been a while and much has been moved around - but there does not appear to be a gasket between the tank and the bowl. On the AS site, I did notice one current toilet that does not show a gasket either in it's exploded drawing or in its list of replacement parts. There is a rectangular shadow but may just be the outline of the place where the tank and bowl meet. This makes no sense, just because ceramic against ceramic isn't such a good idea. Any thoughts? Do I go with the pictured AS gasket?

Annexit

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
gasket

when i overhauled my 1950s cadet i didn't bother to find the original type gasket cuz i didn't realize that tank to bowl gasket design was common and of course a standard size gasket left too much wobbliness so i went to HD and found a gasket thin enough (the thinnest one there) to comfortably allow the tank to be tight enough not to wobble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks