Pressure tank, CSV & pressure cutoff questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Nosewheelie

Reaction score
Hi - I am a newbee to the forum - but looks great!

Background: My house is ~ 30 years old and I am the 3rd owner. I have a well & septic and the ground water has high iron content.

My water system is as follows:
600' deep well (deepened & fracked ~ 10 yrs ago from 250')
1.5 HP Gould pump - 7 GPM
WM9 pressure tank
(all above ~ 10 yrs old)
complex water fiiltration system... (4 yrs old)
sand filter
iron filter
PH filter

Problem: This week (of course while I was traveling) my wife calls with no water... We call in guys who put in water system when we bought the house. They replace mechanical part of pressure switch (prior year when I was traveling had same problem and they replaced electrical side of this switch - why they didn't replace both is beyond me)

Tech told my wife that the pressure tank's bladder appears to have a leak as it was loosing pressure and that I should get a new tank.

My house has awful plumbing job - 3/4" and 1/2" water pipes for large colonial - poor pressure...

Questions:

Using calculator from Wellmate site it recommends 80 gal pressure tank.
Water company confirmed
$500 is about the best price I can find

I asked well guys about CSV and they did not recommend them - I can't tell if that is because they cut down on their business or if they have reliability problems or if with my poor quality (really high iron) I'd have problems.

Looking for system recommendations:

80 Gal wellmate
Smaller wellmate with CSV
other...

If CSV:
CSV OK with poor water quality
Plastic vs bronze CSV

Also - if I increase my pressures 50/80 vs 40/60 will that cause premature failure of my pump?

Thx in advance for the help.

Dan

R

Rancher

The CSV will keep your pump from cycling as much, about half.

I sent you a private message.

Rancher

Nosewheelie

Reaction score
Bob - my typical MO is to learn about things and fix them myself. Issue with last few problems is they always seem to occur when I am on the road - and my wife is not a happy camper w/o water... :) When the prior service call replaced the switch - I had assumed (incorrectly) that they replaced the entire switch and not just the electrical contacts.

Rancher - will check your PM

All - any issues with running with higher cutout pressures? Hoping to be able to partially overcome lousy waster pressure on 2nd floor w/o having to re-plumb the house.

Nosewheelie

Reaction score
Thx Rancher - Speedbump's tanks look to be 150 or so cheaper depending on shipping.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I would put in a tank around 40 gallons.

There are those who have different opinions, but I would not put a CSV on a 7 GPM 1.5 HP pump. A CSV forces the pump to run a lot longer (constantly whenever you are using more than 1 gallon per minute as in filling a toilet or taking a shower) and that will cost a good bit of power for a 1.5 HP pump. I suspect that if you are paying someone to install it that a smaller tank and CSV will cost you more than the larger tank.

IMO he should go with the CSV and the small tank although he may pay for more electric but it would be very little. You have to compare the much lower price for a <$100 CSV and a small tank to the price of the larger tank and the costs of possibly pulling and then replacing a 1.5 hp 7 gpm pump 500+ feet deep years sooner than he would with a CSV.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have been having too many problems in the past. The wife not being without water is THE most important thing. A Cycle Stop Valve makes the pump run longer, which prevents most of the problems that destroy pressure switches, pressure tank bladders, control boxes, start switches, and especially pumps and motors. Any increase in power consumption is minimal and more than worth the added benefits of the CSV. Not to mention the "constant pressure" from the CSV will deliver better pressure to your upper floors and through the smaller pipes. Then the WM9 size tank or even a WM6 size tank, as I have at my house on a 25 GPM pump, would be more than adequate and even best for your system. This would save considerable money over the 80 gallon tank, would be about the same as a 40 gallon tank, and would work better than either of them.

The depth of the well and having only a 7 GPM pump, limit the advantages of the CSV compared to pumps of higher volume. However, there are many benefits to using the CSV even with just a 7 GPM pump.

Your local pump installers are most likely just a few years behind the technology. A continuing education class or two would certainly be good for them. Most installers are not very Internet friendly so, many of them find out about new products such as the CSV from their customers. I just spent a few days at the Texas Ground Water Association trade show and classes and was told this by several installers. Any recommendation against using a CSV comes from a lack of understanding. If you have any questions call 800-652-0207 or go to
www.cyclestopvalves.com

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
That hasn't been my experience with the 1.5 hp 5 and 7 gpm Gould's pumps I've seen on PE pipe to 500' deep in wells with the PE being frozen Bob but... the pressure rating of sch 40 PVC is 420 @ 73f IIRC. And I think the burst rating on PE is consderably higher than its 160 or 200 psi operating rating; my feeble memory seems to be telling me it's like 500 psi but I may be wrong.

Have you actually experienced or seen or heard any homeowner with or without a CSV have any deadhead pressure busting PE on a residential size pump Bob?

How about others, Speedpump, Valveman, Porky etc.?

I haven't seen or heard of it but listening to BobNH it sounds like it would be rather common what with all the CSVs that have been sold on other than galvanized or sch 80 or higher rated PVC.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There have been no problems with pipe bursting with a CSV. However, the back pressure is one thing that we always take into account. I have no argument with the pumps back pressure numbers by BobNH. The pressure rating of the drop pipe is really all that is effected. I do not know what the rating for poly pipe would be. However, 1" sch 80 PVC is good to 630 PSI, threading lessens that to 315 PSI, which is still OK. Galv pipe would take much more pressure than that. I would say that if your pipe can't handle that much pressure, it shouldn't be responsible for holding up a pump that is 600' deep either.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
That hasn't been my experience with the 1.5 hp 5 and 7 gpm Gould's pumps I've seen on PE pipe to 500' deep in wells with the PE being frozen Bob but... the pressure rating of sch 40 PVC is 420 @ 73f IIRC. And I think the burst rating on PE is consderably higher than its 160 or 200 psi operating rating; my feeble memory seems to be telling me it's like 500 psi but I may be wrong.

Have you actually experienced or seen or heard any homeowner with or without a CSV have any deadhead pressure busting PE on a residential size pump Bob?

As a professional engineer, licensed to practice the profession, I make it a point to not install equipment or materials where they are likely to be exposed to environments for which they are not rated.

That involves knowing what the environment is and selecting products that have been designed, tested, and rated to provide margins of safety appropriate for the application.

I don't work with deep wells and have not seen any failures of pipe in the well, but have seen the subject discussed several times in this forum. No pipe that I have ever selected or installed has ever failed in this mode and I would never expect it to fail for the reason described in the first paragraph.

Rated properties of materials such as pipe are based on testing to demonstrate suitable margins of safety for the benefit of the user. I have seen polyethylene pipe fail where it was scratched due to handling, and have seen it fail where it pulled off a fitting. Those conditions are related to the pressure.

I know that certain sizes of Schedule 40 PVC are rated greater than 290 psi which is the expected limit of pressure for the case being discussed here. I also note that every case where there has been any discussion in this forum about installing PVC in deep wells the recommendation has always been to use Schedule 80 PVC.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
BobNH, you said: I don't work with deep wells and have not seen any failures of pipe in the well,

You also said, in relation to PE pipe: but have seen the subject discussed several times in this forum.

And then you said: I know that certain sizes of Schedule 40 PVC are rated greater than 290 psi which is the expected limit of pressure for the case being discussed here.

You also say: I also note that every case where there has been any discussion in this forum about installing PVC in deep wells the recommendation has always been to use Schedule 80 PVC.

I do not recall that, except in those cases where sch 40 wouldn't do the job based on the depth to the pump being over 500'. And I historically I have always suggested PE to 500'.

Here is a link to the PE I've used. When temperature compensated (12%/10*f below 73.4*f) for 45*f, my local groundwater temp, I all but cover your 290 psi example with 200 psi rated PE. I didn't look it up but I think sch 40 PVC does better than PE.

http://www.endot.com/support/installations.asp?Ins=waterpipe

Raucina

Reaction score
HOT water not a torch on PE pipe

Thanks Gary for your link - lots of great information.

Your own posting has solved once and for all the debate about your earlier directions to the public to take a torch to the pipe to make the connections.

Your supplied link says in very BOLD type to never use a torch on the pipe, but to use hot water. That's what I have done for years and my previous postings to that effect were deleted by our mod who apparently also likes torches.

Don't tell me ENDOT corp is posting this for the sake of foolish homeowners that do not have the skills of the pro's. Endot has seen failures from such actions and its time that this forum take the high ground and let this post and Mr slussers link remain on line.

For instance; PEX must be expanded with the MFGrs tools and to their specifications. Would you use a tapered drift, vise grips and a hammer to expand PEX? I think not. So why not follow the MFGrs specs for warming PE pipe? Is hot water so hard to make?

I havent tried it on PE but its pretty common here to bend PVC after a short rest inside the trucks tail pipe. In a pinch that might be safer than a torch on PE.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Raucina, if you had experience doing this kind of work in our trade, you would realize how ridiculous your comment is about using a torch on poly pipe. You are definitely somebody looking on the outside in. Try making phone calls to some water well and even plumbing companies, and ask them about your boiled water techniques. I guarantee you will be laughed at like a clown.

pitless

Well Driller, pump installer, engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.pitlessunit.com
To get back to one of the earlier questions. It will not hurt the pump to turn up the pressure of the water system. This is the same principal the cycle stop valve works on. No harm to the pump it it will make the pressure.

You mentioned 50-80 psi. You should keep the differental to 20 psi, 50-70 or 60-80.

If I were you I would replace the pressure switch that was rebuilt. It is likely that there is iron built up in the nipple going to it and this may have been your problem. Also check the air in your tank and the time for a cycle to make sure your tank is bad. If the tank is bad then I think there is enough information presented for you to make an informed choice.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Gary for your link - lots of great information.

Your own posting has solved once and for all the debate about your earlier directions to the public to take a torch to the pipe to make the connections.
Obviously you skipped my explicit instructions of how to do it.

Your supplied link says in very BOLD type to never use a torch on the pipe, but to use hot water. That's what I have done for years and my previous postings to that effect were deleted by our mod who apparently also likes torches.
Trust me, they weren't deleted for that.

Don't tell me ENDOT corp is posting this for the sake of foolish homeowners that do not have the skills of the pro's.
Actually they say you can use hot water as an example of how to heat it. And if you read the whole thing you'll also see that they say not to heat it over 200*f. Now you tell me, do you think it makes a difference of what heat source is used? They mention the sun too IIRC. I and others have learned how to use the heat from a torch, I use propane, and heat my PE inside and out very lightly and carefully until it is barely warm in and outside for the length of the barbed end of the fitting. If I used hot water and dried it or sun light, you couldn't tell the difference.

For instance; PEX must be expanded with the MFGrs tools and to their specifications.
Actually there's only ONE brand of PEX or fittings that require expansion of the tubing.

I havent tried it on PE but its pretty common here to bend PVC after a short rest inside the trucks tail pipe. In a pinch that might be safer than a torch on PE.
Yeah all that soot and the gases would be great for potable water line but it's guys like that that the no torch rule was made for.

Raucina

Reaction score
Funny thing in physics is water can't get much hotter than 212 degrees unless you trap it in a vessel. Maybe you knew that- not sure... but that temp pretty much matches the manufacturers and their engineers recommendations for max pipe temperature. Its a fail-safe system, which in my book is what customers pay the premium for the PRO title. I guess your business does not have employees, mine does. When I walk away from a joint to take a call, the average yahoo with a torch can guarantee a future stress fracture. A pause to scratch your butt, to pull that pesky booger from your nose, to hit that Texas mosquito with a 1500 degree torch resting on the poly pipe is all it takes to cook it. Water takes that variable out of the equation. Okay, it cost you 89 cents more in time, plus the 69 cents for the campbells soup can, thats lost profit - but some of us sleep better knowing it's money well spent

You dont need a cauldron of boiling water. We're not having a crawdad boil. You do not need to set up a camp kitchen. Your torch, which burns 1200 to 1500 degrees, can heat a half a soup can of water in a few moments, into which you may immerse your tube. It takes a lot less heat than you think to make the fitting. Just because grandpa did it [with the turtle helmet on and the 10 pound rock hammer] does not make it right.

With that said, I never use insert couplings any more in horizontal app's. I use external compression fittings that do not restrict flow and can be opened in a moment. Talk to Endot if you have'nt used them.

Pity that it would make all the bickering obsolete.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Raucina, you have a business and employees too???? What do you guys do?? Please be specific. Okay so walk me through this....your in a trench in the middle of January and you have a couple of poly connections to make. How do you set up your hot water apparatus? Do you bring the water to a boil or what? Is there another guy there handling the stove while you make the connections or how does that work out? Does that other guy heat the pipe and hand it down to you? Just curious because i have been in this business for over 15 years and have never seen the water boil method.

Sammy

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Funny thing in physics is water can't get much hotter than 212 degrees unless you trap it in a vessel.
And if you can THINK and handle your torch at the same time, you don't get the pipe more than slightly warm to the touch. You don't need it hot.

And you can use a finger and thumb as a gauge. I can stick my index finger up inside like 4" and squeeze the outside with my thumb and know when the pipe is warm enough. It takes 2 seconds.

And IF you can screw it up, you cut off 6" and do it again. Ratchet type plastic cutters do that in 3-4 seconds. And I never hurried any job, I spent as long as it took to do it all right the first time. I used to work with explosives where you always do 'it' the right way or it is your last attempt and taking my time is my personality anyway; it's the smart way to do things. Taking your time do 'it' right the first time always saves time. And before you jump on that, I billed installed prices when I sold the job, no time and material. That includes well pumps and water treatment.

I have never seen anyone use other than the sun and/or a torch. We laid our roll of pipe out as soon as the truck stopped so it would warm up. It helps in handling while unrolling it and then connecting the fittings.

Insert fittings are the only type that will work for a pitless adapter or connection to a submersible well pump. Maybe you didn't think of that yet.

Raucina

Reaction score
Insert fittings are the only type that will work for a pitless adapter or connection to a submersible well pump. Maybe you didn't think of that yet.

I thought of it. I said horizontal. If you got horizontal wells in your area, it would work..... must be an Eastern thing. We go vertical and still use the crummy insert fittings. I can design you a fine external collet type connector that could be used vertically, but then you would have to have it made.

If I had a neighbor with a chinese pipe fitting factory, I would have him gear up his 9 to 12 year old work force to produce it at 9 cents an hour and make me a retiree. With the profits I would build a bunker to delay that end thats coming when the yellow devils walk over this couch potato nation. Hillary and Obama will complain to the UN when they land in California.

But I digress. When Endot Corp. posts your "finger up the pipe" technique, we will all embrace it.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what about the procedure for the "Boiling Method" ? And could you please tell us what type of business you have?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks