Pressure tank, CSV & pressure cutoff questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Raucina

Reaction score
The Final Word On Torches From The Pipe Maker

Dear friendly and open minded plumbers and pump installers, Since we had so much controversy about how to heat a PE pipe, It seemed a comment from Endot Corp was in order. I wrote that my tradesman friends [AAAK!] and I were having some debate about the use or not of a torch. I told them I was the hot water advocate. Here is their reply:

Richard:

The use of a torch is very risky. When HDPE is extruded into pipe it is at temperatures of approx. 450 degrees F with a known time of exposure to these temps. The time is the concern and we want to limit exposure to heat to prevent overheating of the HDPE material. A torch is usually putting out a temperature of + 1500 degrees F. At temperatures this high the molecular structure of the pipe is destroyed and the HDPE becomes brittle.

We have even seen failures in the making of fusion joints at lower temperatures when the heat is applied for too long a period of time.

One war story we encountered several years ago was when HDPE was used to install swimming pool skimmer lines. We received a call from the installer that every joint was leaking. Upon inspection we found the joints had been overheated and the pipe had expanded making it impossible to tighten the clamps enough to seal on the insert fitting. The installer admitted to using a torch to heat the pipe making it easier to push in the insert.

A visible symptom of overheating is the expansion of the pipe both ID and OD and the flaring of the ends. This was what we observed with the swimming pool installation. We also saw that the pipe in the pool system was brittle and when some joints were flexed the pipe cracked.

This is why we state that a torch should not be used to warm the pipe. They may laugh at you, but your pipe will not fail due to overheating.

Dick Kraft

If anyone needs more documentation on this ENDOT author, let me know.

So all you self appointed masters out there with your fingers in the pipe, better keep your insurance paid up. Or start drinking more beer on the job and use your private water heater.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
ENDOT can suck an egg. Raucina, i would stay away from a torch if i were you, You might get yourself hurt and sounds to me like you are afraid to use one anyway. Anyone using one on a project and screwing up all the joints shouldn't be doing any plumbing whats so ever. Its experience and know how that seperates the men from the boys, the rookies from the pros, and the well guys from the earth movers. So push your dirt and stay away from water wells before you get yourself into a world of trouble.

Cookie

Reaction score
Personally, I would stand you all in the corner. Of course, not until, I rapped your knuckles with a ruler. :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Physical punishment will only teach that it is OK to hit people. Your not a very nice lady if you do that......

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
crying_baby.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks