Cool DIY Project...Needs your "Approval"

Users who are viewing this thread

BrandonWhiteside

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a filmmaker and I am making a case for my battery chargers. I need to run wires through it like the drawing I attached.

Before you say, "Can't you just plug it in the wall?" The answer is no. I want to be able to close the case completely and have no wires dangling and the plug easily removable. The reason for two males is because a recessed male costs $17 and the recessed female costs $6.

Basically, my question is, Will this work? If the answer is yes, then my next question is, Will it cause too much resistance?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 492

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "double male" is dangerous. I would try a lot of different things before that. You could use a "coiled cord" that could tuck into the box, or the kind of outlet that is used with a computer power supply would work. Most places have lots of computer cords hanging around from old computers.

Since this is a "home built" unit you might try salvaging something from an old piece of equipment. You could cut the back panel out of an old computer power supply and mount it on your fabricated case.

One thing you must worry about with chargers in the case is ventilation. Power supplies and chargers generate a lot of heat and many will shut down or damage themselves if overheated.

Last edited:

BrandonWhiteside

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on the double male? Why is it illegal? (Besides the fact that some idiot could plug it in twice).

BrandonWhiteside

Reaction score
Oh. Well I guess that eliminates that. So, lets get rid of the double male and that recessed female outlet.

Now, Can I just buy one of those computer outlets and attach the contacts on it to another female on a wire?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use a computer plug you would have the plug mounted so the outside is accessible to a computer cord. Then you would hard-wire the inside terminals of the plug to either a terminal strip where you would connect the chargers, or to one or more duplex outlets inside the box that you would use to plug in the cords of your chargers.

But here is an even better solution for you.

Get an old computer, or just the case with power supply. The world is full of junk desktop computers. It has provisions for ventilation and the power supply is already there, with a fan. You can add another fan if required.

The power supply also has a switch that you can use.

Open up the power supply, strip out what you don't need, and wire from the inside of the power supply to a terminal strip or receptacles where you are going to connect your chargers.

There are places inside where you can mount the charger.

You can put a handle on the top of the case for carrying it.

If you look around you can probably find a case that has a simple knob on the outside to take a panel off for servicing.

R

Rancher

You should be able to go to a computer repair place and pick up a dead power supply for $1 with cord, just tell em what you want to use it for and they will probably be happy to get rid of the trash.

Rancher

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
You should be able to go to a computer repair place and pick up a dead power supply for $1 with cord, just tell em what you want to use it for and they will probably be happy to get rid of the trash.

Rancher

In my own experience, telling people what you are trying to do only silences them.

If you want a salvaged power supply, just PM me and pay the postage.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I can come up with just the recessed male receptacle from an old PC tomorrow -- I'd be happy to mail it to you. The cord to the wall would then be about the most standard thing there is -- I must have a dozen or so lying around. You could then hard-wire (solder) a small multi-socket strip to the recessed male receptacle and thus provide several female receptacles for your chargers.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Mikey,

I bet he would really appreciate a nice, new drawing of what to do? :)
What do you think, eh? :D

Cookie...
with a strong maternal instinct. lol.

Mikey

Reaction score
Good idea, but my graphic arts capability on the PC is pretty awful. I've got Visio and several other high-tech design packages available, but never had time to learn how to use them while I was working, and even less time now that I'm not. Even at the peak of my career, such as it was, I was travelling around the world giving presentations using overhead transparency projection and chalkboards in a PowerPoint world. My "PDA" is a Week-at-a-Glance paper calendar, and all I know how to do on my cellphone is make phone calls, although I'm starting to us SMS. Call me a Luddite, I guess. (And proud of it.)

Oh, and no one has answered his 2nd question about causing too much resistance; answer: no.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is ashame Mikey. I think that could be a new project for you. :) Maybe, someone else will be kind enough to post him a nice, new diagram.

Mikey

Reaction score
Don't you just hate it when the OP disappears after (or maybe because of) all our help? Turns out the sockets from a PC power supply have an added bonus -- built-in EMI suppression.

Cookie

Reaction score
Nope, I am sure he appreciated the help. He might pop back when all finished with his project, or when he has more time, or maybe never, but, that is life Mikey. Remember that commerical? ha ha.

I couldn't resist, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Reaction score
It's been over 10 years since I've watched television, but I do remember that one. My nickname came about because of that commercial, as it happens, but the long story is not fit for this family-oriented forum...

Cookie

Reaction score
I made a tofu dinner tonite, I wonder if Mikey would like it,

Last edited by a moderator:

Bald Eagle

Reaction score
Tofu (soy bean curd) sounds like something I would have eaten back in my hippie days. :D

It is a good source of protein and good for you.

Mikey

Reaction score
I'd probably enjoy the company, but tofu is pushing it...

(Full disclosure: I've never tried tofu to my knowledge, and might well like it, but I'm predisposed not to.)

--mikey

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks