(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: adding kitchen in basement - oven/stove top limitation?

Default adding kitchen in basement - oven/stove top limitation?

As I finish my basement, I'm adding a kitchen. Someone told me there is a restriction in the IRC about what I can put in as far as oven or stove top...either can't have one, or can't be gas, or something like that.

I've searched all over, and can't find such a restriction. any suggestions?

Default restriction

Here, it is a city restriction because they will not allow you to have two "houses" on the same lot. So if the basement, or guest house, cannot have a kitchen then its use as an apartment is hopefully eliminated.

I once did a job for a lady who had "subdivided" a big old spanish "mansion" into 8 apartments of various sizes. She duked it out with the city for years, but the day of reckoning finally came.

The extra, non-code toilet installations, the city made us pour cement into the line, so it could not be converted back....ever. In the kitchens she had put in, we had to not only remove them, but the water and drain pipes had to be pulled out of the wall and capped off down in the basement.

I'll check with the county then (I think they're the ones that told me in the first place, ever so long ago!)

Thanks,

Ian

Here where I live they are called, " summer kitchens" and alot of homes have them.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The extra, non-code toilet installations, the city made us pour cement into the line, so it could not be converted back....ever.
    "Uh, Hi ... I've got a clog in my pipes."

[quote=Lakee911;120368]"Uh, Hi ... I've got a clog in my pipes." [/quote

It will probably only take a few minutes to clear. Can you give me a price over the phone?