ground electrical boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
hi

I have 12/2 romex cable coming into a metal electrical box, I was wondering if I need to ground the metal box?

If so, should i use 12 gauge to ground the box (or any gauge wire) and do they sell the screws to attach to the metal box so I can ground it? Or can I use any screws I see in the metal box?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the ground wire will not reach to the threads where the ground screw goes then pig tail with yellow wire nut and a peice of #12 bare wire to it.
Ground screws are avaliable at hardware stores and big box stores. They are green in color. As far as I know any screw with that thread is OK to use as long as it is green.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The screw does not need to be green, but it does have to be a machine thread. Sheet metal and drywall type screws are NOT allowed.

And yes, the box MUST be grounded first and foremost.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The Equipment Grounding Conductor, the box, and any device attached to the box must all be bonded together. In addition to the guidance Speedy Petey gave you, the screw used for gounding/bonding can be used "for no other purpose", so you can't use a Romex cable-clamp screw (but if you aren't using the clamp, throw it away and you can then use the screw for grounding). Somewhere else on this forum there's a nice cutaway picture showing a neat way to accomplish that: the ECG is wrapped around the screw in the box, and carries on to the screw on the device; neat, clean, with no wirenut cluttering up the works.

Last edited:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Get some panel screws. They are easy to wrap around the wire around and continue it over to the ground terminal.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Get some panel screws. They are easy to wrap around the wire around and continue it over to the ground terminal.
This isn't the best advice.
There are about 10 different types of panel screws, and very few have actual machine threads.
If you are going to go get anything, get real ground screws. I'd bet they are also ten times cheaper than panel screws as well.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
This isn't the best advice.
There are about 10 different types of panel screws, and very few have actual machine threads.
If you are going to go get anything, get real ground screws. I'd bet they are also ten times cheaper than panel screws as well.
Took the words right out of my fingers...

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is this 12-2 with a ground or are you in an older house and want to run an equipment grounding conductor to each box?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks