Inexpensive low end toliet needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I need to put a toliet in my detached garage I've just had built. It has a tiny bathroom with a small shower stall. The bathroom will not be used that much so I don't really feel like I need to put in a highend toliet.

Any recommendations for a lower end model? I understand that it will not work as well as the better units but I just don't think the bathroom warrants an expensive model. I certainly want one that works pretty well. I've read the American Standard Cadet 3 is a good unit although certainly not a low end unit.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I mean, how low do you want to go?

As low as possible. Basically I put the bathroom in the garage just in case I ever want to convert it to a living space for a live in maid, or for a relative. I call it a detached garage but it is heated and air conditioned and has 200 amp service. I really only need a toliet that works halfway decently. If I ever have someone living in there I will reconfigure the bathoom and put in a proper toliet like the Toto Ultramax I put in the master bedroom suite I just had built.

It's not that I have to save cash on a toliet; it's just that I don't want to waste money on something I don't need.

MSanders

Reaction score
By low-end I'm assuming you mean around $100 or less? Well since you have a tiny bathroom go with a round bowl. You may want to consider an American Standard Space Saver, Mansfield Alto, Lamosa, Crane Toilet-to-Go. They're all fair at best but get the job done as long as you don't stuff them with excess paper. Out of what I mentioned I'd say the Alto is the best. But of course the Cadet 3 is great for a higher low-end model.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlH

Reaction score
For the low price range I would probably go with a AS Cadet 3. A round front standard height should be well under $200. I don't know if there is anything else in that price range that I would trust. It is not the cheapest, but it is a good compromise between price and performance. Based on the experience of others, you might want to open the box and inspect the toilet for defects before you cart it home.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can understand not wanting to spend a lot of money for a utility room toilet, but at the same time, you should not be downplaying the value of a toilet that functions as we all want a toilet to do. You can buy cheap-o builder specials at a Big Box store, but it's likely you'll need a good plunger to go with it. Even though this toilet may not be used extensively, you won't be happy with clogs when it is used. I think the American Standard Cadet 3 would probably be an acceptable choice, not the cheapest, but it does seem to perform well.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep this in mind. None of us are trying to sell you anything. You're getting free advice, and you're free to take it or leave it. To be sure, we all have various degrees of experience, and we all have personal biases, but when all or at least most of us give you the same advise, that should be a clue that just maybe the advise is pretty sound. No one has tried to steer you to a $500 or more toilet, and no one has even suggested a Toto which is somewhat unusual for this forum where there is a great deal of support for Toto. Rather, I believe we have made a genuine effort to point you toward a toilet that will be trouble free and still not cost a premium price.

SamC

Reaction score
The big box stores in my area have the Cadet 3 standard height white RF for $130, not much past your target price.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I bought an American Standard Cadet 3 from Lowes. When I got home and unpacked it the toliet seat was missing; I got the one that was supposed to come with everthing. I called Lowes and they said to come by and they would give me a seat from another box, which they did.

I went to install the tank and it was finished so badly that the tank cover did not cover part of the tank in front that is supposed to be have the backed on finish. Toliet was marked made in Mexico. So the question is do the Chinesse make better toliets?

I think I may get another brand.

irmatodd

Reaction score
inexpensive and small toilet needed

I just replaced the toilet in my 1/2 bath with a round front low flow. It works great. However, it's located near a door that provides access under the stairway where the hot water heater is and now I can't open the door. I got the rough in right at 12", but never thought about the length/depth which blocks the opening. The space from the back wall to the door opening in 24" which would be along the side of the toilet. I found that there are toilets with a length of 26-3/8" and 26-3/4", but will that size solve my problem? The installers hauled off the old one so I don't know what the length was on that one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks