Shower Valve Body Installation (NPT)

Users who are viewing this thread

hans_idle

Reaction score
This seems like such a simple problem, but I'm at a loss as to how to deal with it.

My wife just purchased a Jado shower head and valve body (pressure balanced). The inlets and outlet are 1/2" NPT. How the heck do I thread the copper supply pipes onto this? The supply line is always going to be immovable.

The supply lines are fixes in place, so they can't turn. If I thread-on an adapter and then solder to the copper pipes, how do I know if I've gotten the adapter tight enough? I'd have to turn the water on to find out, and by then it's too late.

What am I missing? This seems like such a simple issue, given that a lot of valve bodies come with this type of hookup.

-Hans

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Solder pipe to adapter
mount faucet
install adapters w/pipe to faucet
then pipe to faucet.

Last edited by a moderator:

hans_idle

Reaction score
Thanks. I had done a search here, but my search terms were too vague and I got too much info. A search on the internet yielded a few clues that agree with what you listed.

I suppose the key is knowing how tight to make the connections to the valve body, and making sure to use pipe compound.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For thread sealant, I like something like rectorseal with Teflon paste.
The trouble with tape is that heating the pipe a ways a way can affect it.
When threading a MA into a valve, I crank it in pretty darn good.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
can't you also slip 1/2" copper into the shower valve and just solder it on there?

i know the kohler ones work like that. you can either use the npt or solder.

hans_idle

Reaction score
For some reason, Jado builds their faucets to NOT allow the soldering on the inlets and outlets. You can't fit the 1/2" inside and it specifically says not to try it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The quality of the threaded fittings these days is often pretty crappy. It might be worth paying the extra for a brass one if you can find one with nice clean threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks