garage heater temp problems

Users who are viewing this thread

jt1234

Reaction score
I recently install a 75,000 btu blower furnace in my 30 x 21 garage. The problem I am having is that it is warm from about waist up and much cooler from there down. The ceilings are about 10 1/2 feet. I am wondering what can be done about the temp difference. Would installing a ceiling fan help to push the air down? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A ceiling fan will make the air temperature nearly uniform. In fact, any kind of fan would do the same thing.

Before buying something, I would do an experiment.

If you have a large room circulator or box fan you can hang it up and let it circulate air. A typical window box fan will circulate at least 2000 CFM on high setting. Your volume is 6300 cubic feet. That will do a good job of mixing the air in a few minutes.

If I had a box fan I would hang it about 18" below the ceiling in the center of the room, blowing down, and turn it on high. Let it run for 20 minutes and measure the air temperature differences to see how it works.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Blow it down...the hot air is already up there...you want it down lower. It would be harder to pull the cold air up than push the hot air down. Course, it isn't hard to reverse those things, so you can try it either way to see which works better for you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ceiling fan manufacturers seek to recommend blowing up in the heating season. The idea is to "wash" the hot air at the ceiling outward and down the wall. Seems to me like you get there either way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks